Spey Pages banner

161 - 180 of 180 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
The trout morsel is a little pattern I've been working on recently. Lightweight, but with a big profile. 17mm micro shank with size 6 Aqua Talon hook. Someone more talented than myself could probably tie it all in one composite loop, but I tie in two parts. The flash/body is half Copper Ice Dub and half Olive Brown Ice Dub. Collar is Black Barred Olive Variant rabbit. A few strands of GP tail for movement, and optional JC eyes for a focus point. I've been having great success fishing it on a intermediate tip, and I've got other color combos that I'm fleshing out (black collar with midnight fire ice dub, craw/fiery brown with rusty brown ice dub).

Attachments

·
Registered
322 Posts
I had a few local streams and rivers in mind when tying this, the kind where trout get fat eating craws all summer, and the smallmouth move in to find some relief from the heat of the lake.

Tied on a #8 mustad R73 with 1/8" lead eyes. The eyes are melted 30# mono marked with sharpie and covered with uv resin. The claws, feelers and back is craw orange Pine squirrel, Fiery Brown SLF for the body and copper wire for the rib.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
The trout morsel is a little pattern I've been working on recently. Lightweight, but with a big profile. 17mm micro shank with size 6 Aqua Talon hook. Someone more talented than myself could probably tie it all in one composite loop, but I tie in two parts. The flash/body is half Copper Ice Dub and half Olive Brown Ice Dub. Collar is Black Barred Olive Variant rabbit. A few strands of GP tail for movement, and optional JC eyes for a focus point. I've been having great success fishing it on a intermediate tip, and I've got other color combos that I'm fleshing out (black collar with midnight fire ice dub, craw/fiery brown with rusty brown ice dub).
Thats the ticket right there. With a few color tweaks during the course of the year that'll be the only fly you need. Except for the last one you posted. A+++

·
Administrator
18,628 Posts
A Pheasant tail softhackle is all you need to swing in my area if you want to catch trout :smokin:
Serge, those would do just fine :D

Mike

·
Registered
251 Posts
I've been playing around with trout flies on small AJ irons, I really dig the low water look.

Green caddis larva, soft hackles, hare's ear, and a LaFontaine deep caddis pupa. Used angora goat dubbing for buggy-ness.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Thanks y'all, they've been doing me well so far!

·
Registered
554 Posts
Nice!! Glad it worked for you 😀

Stoneflies should be popping in a few weeks here and I have high hopes for that skater at night!

Stonefly tube skater ....just for fun.
Thanks for sharing this awesome pattern. Tied up a couple of these with orange bodies and yellow foam. The trout loved them waking across the river, pops got his first surface take on the swing by this colorful little brown.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
322 Posts
The olive Trout Morsel I posted before has been a top producer for my pops so far. A good number of "educated" dry fly eating browns have grabbed it with reckless abandonment. For me, Dave's White Widow(below) has been the ticket. Not too pretty when dry, like a lot of marabou flies, but damn sexy when it's swimming.

Edit- Here's the recipe for anyone interested
Shank- Senyos 23mm Micro Shank
Hook- Size 6 AquaTalon hook
Eyes- Medium gold beadchain
Flash- FlyShack Hackle Flash, color rootbeer (Reddish brown that really pops through the marabou when wet)
Hackles- 3-4 wraps of mallard flank, 3-4 wraps of white marabou, remainder 4B grizzly hen
"Wings"- 2 longer, skinny feathers from the neck of a cheap grizzly dry fly cape

Attachments

161 - 180 of 180 Posts