Spey Pages banner

141 - 160 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Me gusta. Looks like a cousin to your Hotwire Zuddler. Fine tie as always-
Similar yes, no cone head and a few different materials. You can't see it, but there is a 5mm tungsten bead in the middle. The water I fish is fast and requires weight.

·
Banned
2,153 Posts
High cold water is coming

Attachments

·
Banned
2,153 Posts
I came across this via HeadHunters -

It's called Marks Goblin authored by Mark Hieronymus

I was skeptical to use it for trout but the fish locally are extremely aggressive as they have a lot of competition. They are not spooky by any means and the river is strong. I like the lack of rabbit strip although there is a collar. I think this pattern could go a lot of places. It's articulation in the water is superb and yielded fish for me.

Because there's no rabbit strip it's light and easy to cast

Would love to see someone here play with the design :)

I'm going to

Attachments

·
Registered
146 Posts

I was skeptical to use it for trout but the fish locally are extremely aggressive as they have a lot of competition. They are not spooky by any means and the river is strong. I like the lack of rabbit strip although there is a collar. I think this pattern could go a lot of places. It's articulation in the water is superb and yielded fish for me.

I'm going to

It looks like an extremely simple design to duplicate. My only concern is that the material would foul around the hook. Have you had this problem?

·
Banned
2,153 Posts
I haven't had that issue with this pattern

But I've also been fishing your no name fly a few post back :)

To my surprise the fish love it. It sinks well but it's difficult to cast. If you're wanting to use a rabbit strip maybe slicing it in half would be helpful

·
Registered
146 Posts
I haven't had that issue with this pattern

But I've also been fishing your no name fly a few post back :)

To my surprise the fish love it. It sinks well but it's difficult to cast. If you're wanting to use a rabbit strip maybe slicing it in half would be helpful
That's awesome. I'm glad it's working out for you. I find it's hard to lift my anchor due to the fact it sucks to the water a bit more. However, it swings so nicely and has good movement.

What is the wing material on the goblin? It looks like temple dog, rams wool, or some type of wispy hair.

·
Banned
2,153 Posts
Heli,

Send me your address and I'll mail you one :hihi:

Look forward to what you do with it

·
Recreational User
217 Posts

I'm going to

Glad you like it. I'm the "Mark" in "Mark's Goblin", and that fly has caught steelhead from CA to AK, and big trout from MT to BC and AK.

The wing is BirdFur, and it is almost impossible to foul. I designed the fly to present a full and highly active profile without bulk - the evolution of the Goblin included a fox body at one point, but the "fluffiness" of the fox in the water hindered the motion and made the fly rather "sticky" when casting with light trout gear.

The Goblin is basically a pared down, front station intruder with all the extraneous stuff that doesn't catch fish removed. Pretty simple, really.

Mark

Attachments

·
Registered
391 Posts
Hot damn! I have scads of bird fur I bought years ago on a close out sale.

Looks like this time my hoarding paid off.

That is one break through design and it lends itself to some other new wrinkles like complex dubbing loops.

Atta boy.

ddb

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Hot damn! I have scads of bird fur I bought years ago on a close out sale.

Looks like this time my hoarding paid off.

That is one break through design and it lends itself to some other new wrinkles like complex dubbing loops.

Atta boy.

ddb
That’s funny, I was just thinking the opposite: looks like I need yet another material! Good grief where does it ever end?

Seriously though, that is one sweet looking fly that I will definitely be adapting to my repertoire. Exactly whet I have been looking for, well done!!!
JB

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
This great thread seems dead...
In my case, I have confidence in what I have already posted, and do not believe I need to add anything more to my fishing arsenal. Lately to improve some skills, I have added a new variant of mouse. In short, I am good with ....

* few spiders
* size 6 to 10 conehead muddler
* rabbit tubes
* marabou muddler
* sculpzilla

and a variant of the muddler, the mouse.

https://raspberryfisher.wordpress.com/2019/01/13/mouse-for-fly-fishing/

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
That peacock flea would be killer in Alberta or BC waters from Aug thru September. Small beetles or drowned ants are my favourite flies for that time of year.
I thought of tying with a flat wing, like a Jassid, but believe the pain of adding that small soft hackle makes a better fly. And yes, I often envision as a little snail, beetle, et cetera.

It now has been 15 years since I been on the Bow, but it is a great river. Some of my favourite Rainbows came off this river. Great fighters.

141 - 160 of 192 Posts