Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering a 966 or 967 to add to the quiver for GL steelhead in WNY. Is this rod too stiff to be effective for single hand spey ? I have a NS II (T&T) in 906 that is excellent (SHS & overhead) and considering the 967 but we are now in the $800+ range where the Zenith is now on closeout. I do not want a switch , I have 2 handers when conditions dictate. Other recommendations/advise would be appreciated. SHS has become my preferred method of casting in trout fishing also.....

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Casting vise the rod stiffness is just a feature and when you use the line weight you like to cast it is not a problem anymore. Fatigue can be when you need to use very heavy line and fish fighting and staying hooked and leader thinness are subjects what might need thinking.

Esa

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been using the Rio steelhead/salmon #7 on both my 6 wt for trout and 7 wt. for steelhead. Am I correct in saying the rod might be too stiff to maintain hook set ?

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I have been using the Rio steelhead/salmon #7 on both my 6 wt for trout and 7 wt. for steelhead. Am I correct in saying the rod might be too stiff to maintain hook set ?
Definitely not because many use successfully DH rods which have much heavier tips which are also stiffer and thicker and heavier lines. With single hand rod it is much faster to release rod pressure when fish runs just relaxing wrist.

Esa

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is also one of the long held beliefs that I have always accepted but now question. Such as in single hand fishing light tippet requires a softer action rod. So basically , SHS can be accomplished with any rod ( taken from Peters post under casting ) with the right line and adapting the stoke and a any action rod will be suitable for steelhead providing it has the backbone to manage the size of the fish in question . My NS II rods , considered fast seem to SHS quite well for me ?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts