Spey Pages banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
classic underhand cast with body pivot to assist: classic underhand. Here I use more of a classic style and rotate the torso as I come forward to add additional rod load and tip travel for a longer cast with a long belly line.

closeup of shooting line with a spey: shooting line. This illustrates release timing and technique when shooting line on a long cast.

Perry Poke: perry poke. Front view of the Poke. I have a rear view too--would it help?

Timing the Forward Cast: timing. As Juro requested, you can see that I begin my forward stroke well before the anchor touches down. Allows long, effortless casts.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Dana,

You did a great services to those who are wondering: 1) when to release line for shooting; and 2) the forward rod movement with long-belly lines. There are many people who will now be able to improve their spey casting because they will be able to see what to do and then incorporate it into their own casting. Much better than the way we "oldtimers" learned spey casting, eh?

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys!

okay, and here are a few more:

timing the forward cast pt 2: this one has a splashy anchor, so you can see it a little better than on part 1. Again, notice that the rod moves forward in advance of the anchor touchdown; also, the final acceleration occurs just as the anchor touches down. This is one of the secrets of casting efficiency with long belly/extended belly spey lines (line used in the clip was a custom extended belly line with a 100ft head).

timing pt 3: timing the cast from a different angle.

Nobuo Nodera Classic Spey: returning to classic spey technique, here is CND's Nobuo Nodera casting a custom extended belly line. Notice the top hand in this clip--it dominates the forward cast. This clip is taken from Nobuo's upcoming DVD The Art of Speycasting.

Nobuo 2: Nobuo-san's method from a different angle. Notice that the rod is always in motion.

Nobuo strobe: a strobed version of the last clip revealing the hand and arm movements from D loop formation through delivery cast.

beauty: I know, I know, pictures of loops going out don't really help, but I couldn't resist this one--surely one of the most beautiful loops you'll ever seen rolling off the end of a spey rod! The caster is Mitsuru Kaneko, and once again, from the upcoming CND DVD The Art of Speycasting.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Perry poke

Dana

Any chance of getting a clip of the Perry poke from a longer distance ? I was unable to tell what is happening with the cast.

Thanks
Skilly

·
EAT IT!!!
338 Posts
Thanks Dana, not only for asking us what we wanted to see, but taking the time to provide it (sans Pam.) Now if only I could practice what I have learned. Any ideas for an ice leader:chuckle:
I really appreciate the time and effort you put into updating the site, it is a wonderful educational tool for speycasters of all levels:)

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yup!

I wanted to show what the arms/hands are doing, but in closeup it is hard to see what else is going on unless you are very familiar with the cast. I should be able to find some other clips on the poke...

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Skilly,

I have some footage from behind and above the caster that shows the poke with the line moving around. What I'll do tonight is edit this clip so that it runs with a small window showing the original clip running too so that you can follow each move. Basically with the poke you lift the rod, then move it upstream so that the line goes through the air past the caster. Immediately as the fly passes on the upstream journey, dump or poke the rod forward and down, the line lands on the water in front and slightly upstream, then you make a D loop and cast. Hopefully this will be clearer once the new video is up--watch for it over the next few days!

Dr Swing,

thanks for the kind words! I'm glad you find the site useful! I haven't forgotten about Pam, though (stay tuned...)!

·
Registered
498 Posts
Dana

Thanks, I think it is a cast I can use on some of the runs on the Deschutes where I am backed up against the bank. I live out here in the boonies so pretty much learned my casting from your video clips.

Thanks again

Skilly

·
EAT IT!!!
338 Posts
I second Skilley's comment about the boonies. This site is as close as I get to a spey teacher.
I was taught the Poke starting as a snap-t, dumping the line in in line with the target, then coming back up to form the D-loop. This looks pretty much like what you are doing Dana, but I might be missing something. All I know is that when I get it, the line takes off like a cannon:D

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Perry Poke

Skilly,

here is the clip I mentioned: Perry Poke

Here is some of the instructional text on the Poke from the speypages newsletter article "Bad Speys Made Good" available by subscription:

1. first off, face your intended target. Let’s presume that this is 90° from the downstream position of the fly. Now pivot your torso about your hips so that you are facing downstream.

2. make certain that your fly has swung all the way around and has stopped below you, your rod tip is just above the surface, and that your line is tight.

3. get your line moving by lifting the rod tip smoothly to the 11 o’clock position, with your upper hand about forehead height.

4. now pivot about the hips to once again face your target and at the same time use your arms to pull the rod tip upstream with just enough effort to move the line through the air in an upstream direction—for want of a better expression we can call this move the Slide. Just as the fly passes you on its upstream journey, make a weak forward cast by simply flopping or dumping the rod tip forward and down—this is the “Poke” of the cast.

5. what you are left with is a loop of slack line in the water in front and just upstream of your casting position. This loop of line is what you will use to form your D loop. Now, using a lot of power (but not so much that you straighten the line out in the air behind you!) sweep the rod tip back and up, stopping at 1 o’clock to form your D loop, then come forward with your standard forward delivery cast.

Let me know if this makes things clearer or simply muddies up the water!:eyecrazy:

·
Registered
498 Posts
Perry Poke

Thanks Dana

That clip made it very clear for me. I had tried the poke the last time to the Deschutes but was leaving my line to far upstream from me. And not swiviling at the hips. I think I can do it now.

Skilly

·
Speyngineer
167 Posts
Thanks again Dana

This is actually the first time I see the Perry Poke, great video again. Looks like a cast for upstream winds, alternative to Single Spey. Allows probably easier wide angluar changes than the Single Spey, but how about the casting distance? One could assume that similar distances to SS are not easily achieved with PP?

WBR, Lohi

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Lohi!

Yes, the Perry Poke is a derivative of the single spey, like the "snap casts" (snap-t, circle cast etc) and does make it easier to change a wide angle, although with practice the single spey works too and does it all in one step instead of two or three.

I think that if we're talking about fishing distances the Poke and the Single both allow for workable casts, but for raw distance it would come down to lines used and casting skill with each method. Ed Ward has cast over 130ft with the Perry Poke, so it is certainly a cast that can reach impressive distances.

·
Speyngineer
167 Posts
Ok. Please excuse me for a stupid question, but would Perry Poke be limited to a relatively short casting head, or is it also useful with longer bellies. The reason I am asking is, that it seems to build quite a pile of line in front of the caster, and if the line was some 80 ft outside the rod tip, would most of the backcast be sorting the pile out?

In my mind it also somehow reminds the Falkus´s Contrived Loop Cast, although that is in my understanding thrown from the lower stream position.

Lohi

·
Registered
119 Posts
video

Great Job Dana Thank you for your time and energy. Also it would be nice if you had a clip of someone doing. The two and a half cast. Doulbe spey with perry poke. Thanks Jim

·
Registered
498 Posts
Perry Poke

Had to fight the snow and go to Portland to the Dr. So spent yesterday morning on the Sandy. Not many fish yet, but I was able to practice the Perry Poke. Thanks Dana, it worked very well. I was surprised at the distance I was able to cast with it.
300 miles in 4 wheel drive but it was worth it. Have to do it again the 5th so I will get another chance at the Sandy.

Happy New Year to all !!!!

Skilly

1 - 18 of 18 Posts