Spey Pages banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am concidering buying the Scott ARC 1509/4 two hander. I would like to get some input from the board members. Thanks...

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Well, I'm one blank up at the 15' 10wt ARC

but I'm also using a 300 grain 21' RIO Big Boy on it. Cannon, even with this head. Got to call Mark B at his shop in Welches and order the 400 grain for deep pool work for the spring salmon.
fe

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
LC 13

Hi Fred. Have you ever tried the LC 13 for deep water heads? I have had great luck using it for dreadging deep holes for fall salmon and getting down 40 plus feet for saltwater spieces in the tropics. It is very thin so it cuts through the current and sinks like a rock. Forgot to mention, It's cheap. I bought a 500' spool and make heads of verious lengths. Have given away a couple a hundread feet.

TL's
Dennis

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Hi Dennis! The term "LC 13" rings in my brain

but no one is answering the phone.:rolleyes:

Who/what is it again.
Fe

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello Fred. LC 13 is a coated lead core line made by Cortland. It's weight is about 13 grains/foot but because of it's thin diameter, sinks quicker than Deepwater Express and other heads that are commercially marketed. Have used on my two handers when fishing the Umpqua below the Fly Water and on my single handers at the coast for fall chinook. Best that I have found for getting down quick and staying put. For 500' I think that I spent maybe 50 bucks. Most saltwater fly rodders use it when they have to get deep.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Thought the "LC" stood for lead core but the '13'

through me. Don't think I've heard it called that. To make a 400 grain head (at 13 grains per foot) you'd have a head about 31 foot long vs. the 'big boy' at 21 (bad math = BB at 19 grains per foot).

Do you have much of a problem controlling/casting a head of this length give 'lc's' pretty stiff material?
Fred

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,393 Posts
I also have this on my short list of 9 weights to look at in the next few months. I cast it briefly a couple years ago and was impressed. Hoping to demo one next week.

My question for those who are familiar with the 1509-4 is how will it handle tips. I know the 15' Rio tips will be no problem but will it have the backbone to toss say a 230-270 gr. section of DWE (12-17'). Given that I prefer a long bellied line, these would likely be looped to either a cutback mispey or accelerator. My 10150-4 does the job fine but I would prefer to move down to the 9 weight if I can still handle this weight tips.

st

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Scott 1509

I just sold my 1409 and got the 1509 after test casting it a few times. This is an awesome rod. Very powerful and handles sinking as well as floating lines with ease. Way (Spey Bubba) and Steve Choate, the instructors at the recent Rogue River Spey Clinic had very high praise for this rod and both use it as one of their "wepons of choice"!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Shooting heads.

Howdy Fred. I have found since the diameter is smaller than the heavy heads I have used, it cuts through the current quicker and does not plane to the surface as do thicker heavier heads. I am not familier with the Rio head so I can't give you any feedback on the differences. I know that I don't need as much head length to get to the same depth as I did with heads like the SA Deepwater Express and other heads that I have used. I also use shorter sections looped to traditional sinking heads to create a depth compensating head. It's pretty versital to use alone or in conjunction with other heads and sink tips. I have not problem handling 30 plus feet on my 10wt and 12wt single handers for salmon. Have done very little work with it on my 9140 but it seemed to like it OK. Oh! It is a level line so you don't have to be concerned about any taper. Wish you were closer, I would give you a couple of heads to try out. Are you planning on coming to Portland for the Spey Clave? Should be fun. I learned a new cast the other day called the Deluxe. It is a must for river right, up river winds.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts