Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just thinking about which one fly pattern has caught the largest variety of fish for me. From freshwater to saltwater, I think it's a chartreuse and white Clouser minnow.

How about you? Curious about what others have to say...

·
Registered
124 Posts
With a box of buggers and clousers in a couple colors and sizes, I would be reasonably comfortable fishing for anything that swims. Definitely two of the most versatile flies ever developed.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I seem to reach for the hobo spey type fly most often when I am in a river. But best fly for me is a dubbed leech, seems everything wants to eat that.

·
Registered
116 Posts
A black WB for me. I always fish it with confidence and that is probably the reason it has been so successful for me. I caught my first steelhead on a black WB when I was around age 14 and it changed my life forever. I guess I owe a lot to that old standby.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Black wooley bugger.

The variations are endless; but using premium materials can yield some way better-than-ordinary versions.

·
Scandit sublima virtus
2,263 Posts
bacon.
definitely bacon.:chuckle:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Good post Ben. Mine would be a Clouser variant, Casey Smartt's Chrome Minnow. Stripers, Blues, Albies, Smallies, Trout, any thing that swims. Swing or strip it. Here are a couple tied on jig hooks:

·
Undertaker
1,356 Posts
let's hear it for dinks

Pheasant tail soft hackle!
Well, I have had 50 fish days fishing PTs to trout - and I hooked and dang near landed a larger than average steelie on one a few years back (size 18 to boot) - so yeah, the PT has a lot of mojo. But for me, the one fly that is most versatile is the muddler. Greased and riffle-hitched, its a decent waker. Sunk, its an injured minnow, and swung deep its a sculpin. I have caught trout, smallmouths, sunfish, carp, and steelhead on muddlers. Come to think of it, I should fish them more often.

·
Banned
690 Posts
No wait...

NO WAIT

PT and ammonites #8-12 = big feesh all the time...

I am the ONE guy who has never caught a steelhead on a WB (not a fly anyway...pfffft)​

·
Registered
225 Posts
The noble Muddler and it's many variants for me.
Dry, hitched or sunk the Muddler is a killer dressing any angler can be proud of knotting on.

·
Dedicated Fisherman
3,306 Posts
With all those boxes full of Spey & Dee patterns I find it hard to say but....... Sculpin minnow patterns. Every year I catch a few kings while trout fishing. Every year I get quite a few silvers while trout fishing. Every year a lot of trout - a few steelhead - a stray grayling - char and even a chum now and then. So I'd have to say a Sculpin.

Right behind them would be (for the past 5 seasons) a Jock O' Dee tied on a size 4 Bartleet hook. I've caught all 5 species of salmon on those and a bunch of grayling and trout.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts