Spey Pages banner

Young 1535/40 comparison?

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Charlie 
#1 ·
Evening lads.
I own the 1535 and at 4 1/4" seems a pretty decent all around Salmon reel. Is the 1540 also 4 1/4"? If so, what are the differences? Is one heavier or employ a better drag?
I am wondering the general thoughts on them as i havent seen them mentioned too often as a good "under $100 reel".
I am a big fan of the whole line really. I have a 4" Pridex wide-drum, 4"Beaudex, etc,etc, as well as 5 other trout models. The Pridex i really like but it is very light in comparison to the others.
Thanks guys, and i look forward to your input.
Salmon Chaser
><)))*>

#2 ·
the 1535 and the 1540 differ only in spool width (7/8" internal width vs. 1-3/16", respectively). According to Young's tables, the 1535 weighs 10.4 ounces and holds a WF9F plus 250 yards of 30# Micron backing; the 1540 holds a WF11F plus 350 yards of the same backing, and weighs 11 ounces.
Both have the same adjustable double click pawl drag. Both are strong, attractive, reels, and great values while they're still available. My 1540 was easily handling a strong Skagit River char about 24 hours ago.

#3 · (Edited)
still availlable

parts and pieces are,,,but the reel was labeled for everyone under the sun,,,name a u.k manufacturer,,maybe not hardy,but the golden prince looks suspicious as well,keep your eyes open,they're out there,pm me if nec. i'll get the outfits name that sells parts,i've spooled mine with every `big' line,XLT,12-13 mastery,,12DT,,the 40's handle em',super deel,don't tell anyone,,:D

#4 ·
Look alikes

Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated.
Hammer, i saw a 4 1/2" Bruce and Walker on ebay last month and it was a dead-ringer for the 1535 that i have. I missed that reel by a dollar. Sniped again, oh well.
I will shoot you a pm and get the "skinny" and i promise i wont breath a word to anyone:cool:
Thanks again.
Salmon Chaser
aka Dwayne
><)))*>

#5 ·
i'm the snipe!

couldn't resist it,,just missed one in u.k.,labeled as a shakespeare,the snipe deal,,heck,that's the only way you get anything off of e-bay,seems like i always got sniped,,then i decided to get even,now i've got er' dialed:hehe: :devil: :smokin:

#6 ·
Cool, live by the snipe-die by it as well. i forgot all about it and when i checked it....well YOU know the outcome. I really didnt know what i was going to do with it but thought i should try for it anyway. Is it really 18 ounces as the seller stated??? What is the width?
Thanks sni,.,.,. Hammer!:hehe:
Salmon Chaser
><)))*>

#7 ·
it's a 40

nooksack has the wts.sizes afforementioned,,as a matter of fact i'll sell you a new 35 i bought from Mac for what i have in it,extra spool included,hardly used,the extra spools never been used except to spool up light windcutter,i'm basically focusing on rods fifteen to eighteen ft.so,the 40's aren't really heavy enough for the 18's,,PM me,,snipehammer,:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.