Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was pointed out to me recently by a good friend that when you start purchasing specific rod/reel/line combinations for an individual river that this is an indication of a possible addiction problem. When the river in particular is not your home river and is only one you fish for 3-5 days once every year or two, then this is hard evidence of spey addiction.

Now I don't personally know anyone that this applies to but wanted to share with the site as you all might. Spey addiction is a serious matter and something we should all be on the look out for.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Well, is it ..uh, okay to have two outfits specifically for said river(s)?

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
T M T

The disease is called T M T -- TOO MUCH TACKLE.

It is incurable, but not life threatening, best kept under control by fully preparing for every fishing situation, including those that "might" be encountered.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I bought a rod for a specific pool.....mind you it's the pool you will find me on for 70% of my fishing, but the outfit was bought with one pool in mind. How's that for an addiction.

Gillie

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kush:

You mean like one for weekdays and one for weekends? Or cloudy days and clear? Both these seem reasonable to me.

Don't worry buddy, I'm sure you don't have a problem. You are more of a collector than an addict. :razz:

Gillie:

I hear you. I was on the phone today with a buddy talking about the need for a new rod for a certain pool on a river I will only fish 3 days every Spring. Now the fact that I would only need the rod when the water was high might just qualify me for the addict label.

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
You start giving rods away so people can have a specific setup for a certain river just like yourself :Eyecrazy:

-sean

·
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club
387 Posts
sean said:
You start giving rods away so people can have a specific setup for a certain river just like yourself :Eyecrazy:

-sean
Hey Sean,

Got anything you like to use in low water conditions to skate flies with? Say on a river like the GR. I need a rod just for that purpose and thought if you don't mind perhaps you could.....well....... you know......give me one :razz:

·
Steelhead are cool!
572 Posts
Tip,

It is only a problem if you think it is and I don't. Certain rivers and certain runs require different set ups. See I am perfectly normal. :Eyecrazy:
Excuse me while I go talk to some tackle.

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Actually Kerry I just got one...but since I only have one at the moment I cannot share. Maybe next year :)

-sean

·
Jack Cook
1,668 Posts
Or

you can really go overboard and go into the business. Having entire lines of product from several manufacturers makes it easy to pull out the perfect setup for any given river or pool. If forced to I sometimes sell one of these setups but I try to avoid that at all costs.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have heard that can happen. There is no limit to the kindness of an addict I guess.

·
loco alto!
3,109 Posts
we'll see about that. Who has the cajones to fess up to > 15 ?

·
JD
3,641 Posts
Hey Fred

sinktip said:
It was pointed out to me recently by a good friend that when you start purchasing specific rod/reel/line combinations for an individual river that this is an indication of a possible addiction problem. When the river in particular is not your home river and is only one you fish for 3-5 days once every year or two, then this is hard evidence of spey addiction.

Now I don't personally know anyone that this applies to but wanted to share with the site as you all might. Spey addiction is a serious matter and something we should all be on the look out for.

sean said:
You start giving rods away so people can have a specific setup for a certain river just like yourself :Eyecrazy: ..
I think they're talking about you!:chuckle:

·
Registered
640 Posts
Bob, it's not TMT

...because I can't agree with that statement. I think for those of us with this disorder, it's called AET "Almost Enough Tackle".

Carl

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Carl said:
...because I can't agree with that statement. I think for those of us with this disorder, it's called AET "Almost Enough Tackle".

Carl
I'm with Carl, I fear I have been a life long sufferer.

When I was 7yrs old I had 2 bluegill rods, 2 perch rods, 2 walleye rods, and a Pike/Musky outfit. Or maybe that was just my fathers way of justifying his addiction to my mother, maybe the reason all together for having children was that he got to buy more tackle. Who knows, he passed it on to me though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am definitely a tackle addict; I cringe when I think about how many 3 and 4wt click and pawl reels I own. In my darkest moments, a voice whispers that they are all the same, and I have wasted far too much time and money on them. Some of them I don't even fish.

It's absolutely shameful, but after Katrina, I made the decision to sell a reel, and donate the money to the relief effort. After agonizing for hours, with all my old and new clickers spread out before me, I couldn't bear to part with any of them, and ended up making a small donation online. How's that for an embarrassing mea culpa?

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
On man...... I'm not sure - but I might have a problem. Yesterday I bought 3 identical reels that match one I already have so that I can have a set on my rods at Claves :eek:

After further inventory - I am starting to suspect that maybe I do have a problem - as not only do I have a specific rod for a specific pool - but I have it for a specific time of the day!

I think I need to call 911 :Eyecrazy:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.