Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just heard the report of a friend back from the Dean. Apparently the river below 5 mile is a mess. I am told the Totems Run no longer exists--now a big riffle--and the waters below the canyon are in bad shape as well. I guess there was a major slide this spring that dumped a ton a earth into the river and it has really messed things up. Has anyone else heard of or seen anything?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Actually, there was a huge slide in the extreme upper river way above Kalone Creek in the early fall last year, then I understand the slides and later high water from a huge rain(like almost took away permanent camps on the river) in late October-November rearranged a lot of the river.. In addition to the lower river changes the river is apparently changed significantly in runs upstream as well...go catch a big fish in a new run and get it named for you....:>)

·
Registered
477 Posts
I got back from the lower river a week ago - Bill's run has filled in, the Cut bank has been cut back even further and is now deep and very fast - it still fishes and produces, but over a much shorter streach. The top of Ross island has filled in and there is a gravell bar in the middle of the river opposite the main body of Ross island. The Cedar hole is unchanged, as are upper & lower Archeology and the Tidal pool. The Meat hole is gone. While I did not go above the canyon, the River Guardians and a few other told me the area above the canyon has changed a lot with most of the runs in the first km or two (above the canyon) being filled in - how far up this problem exists, I do not know.
speydoc

·
Registered
200 Posts
Dean Report

I talked to Danny Hodson last night. He said that the river had been high and the chinook fishing had not been that good. The had not been picking up too many steelhead until about a week ago and now most boats were averaging 2-3 hookups per day. The river is clear and they are dry fly fishing. The silt is gone from the river. A lot of the lower river above the canyon is gone and he said Jam Hole (at the cable) is pretty much gone and probably wouldn't fish at the water levels that we normally have in late August-Early September, when I go. There is a new channel in the mid river that started last year. He said that there is still enough water to fish Shannon's, Clancy's, Canal, Homestead etc but that about half the river goes down the new channel and half down the old channel. Beaver has changed since the new channel departs half way down Beaver to the south. All of these runs may be gone by next year.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts