Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I swear, I am fully becoming a spey and two-handed geek. Here's what I'm thinking, and ask if anyone has any experience with this:

The Rio Steelhead line. 66' head, grn weights from 260 - 610. It's designed as a single-handed line, but I think its taper lends itself to being a nice two-handed line. Has anyone used this line, and specifically (here's where my new geekiness kicks in), has anyone turned it into a tips system by cutting off the front 15' or so, and using Rio's tips?

Anyhow, maybe I'm just thinking out loud... :roll:

Thanks for your patience with all these questions.

Tom

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,475 Posts
Tom,

I can't speak to the Rio Steelhead line but do know a couple of guys that used 8 weight SA Steelhead taper lines as a line for a 7136 Sage. If I remember right, they were cutting them back 17'. Since the Rio line is similar, I think it worth a try.

'tip

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Here are the stats on that line (from the Rio site):

Plenty of head length, usual Rio durability and quality, could be a winner.

My only comment would be that if you plan to strip the fly in close each cast then a shorter more concentrated head (like the Rio Clouser perhaps) might be the ticket to reduce the amount of effort to work the line back out to the best casting length each time. Concentrated grains help defeat windy conditions on the beach as well, although you can't beat a steelhead taper for casting pleasure.

If you're like me you'll have a whole rack of lines to suit each scenario. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I have been using that line some with an Anderson 1204. Due to the bullet head, I have been using fast sinking poly leaders right to the tip.

This line works great as a more delicate floating line if you cut it at the start of the running line and turn it around - great floating line for smaller flies

·
Registered
114 Posts
Rick, what is your setup for throwing tips with that steelhead line. Do you still flip the head around like you did with the floater. Is this the same line you were throwing at Watt Ave at our little spey gathering. I have been fishing a delta 8/9 as a floater on mine and it is nice but i would like to try somethign else with tips.

Jason Hartwick

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Jason,
Flipped, the line does not handle tips very well - a much longer front taper when flipped.

The only trouble with the steelhead taper is currently my loop system is bulky enough that it does not go through the guides without some hang up problems.

Actually I recently got the RIO OUTBOUND 8 wt and really like this line for tips on that rod - much shorter belly than the Steelhead taper - kinda use it as a mini skagit system.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A self-provided answer and a new question....

Thanks everyone for your input. I also find myself wondering about sinking leaders... for instance, to save cutting up a line and still be able to get a bugger or sculpin pattern down on the yak.

The whole point of this excercise is to figure out the best way to buy one line or line system, and save myself from spending spouse-angering amounts of money on reels, spools, and lines. The other twist to this is that the line system needs to fill several roles (not to bore everyone again, but here it is): overhead off the Puget Sound beaches, off my pontoon on lakes, and spey (whether traditional, underhanded, Scandinavian remains to be seen) on streams.

I'm so close to buying the Snowbee Torridge I can hardly stand it. The more I think about it, the more something like the WC 6/7/8 with tips makes sense. I found that the heavier Scandi head I was using last Saturday spey cast better, and Jack (Speyman) tells me that the lighter head he provided was more for overhead. Borrowing from Bob Meiser, I can remove Tip 2 for overhead, and leave it on for the river. The grain windows ( 455 gr. for the WC from Rio's site, plus my limited experience with the two Scandi heads and the 474 grain Mach 1 8/9) seem to fit. Okay. I think I finally answered that question.

So now the new question: how big a reel does that windcutter require? I have a Ross Rythm which according to the Ross site can hold one WF7F and 205' 20# backing. I bet a spare spool can handle a Snowbee running line and a some Scandi heads.... (Oh no! Spending more money!)

Okay, enough. Jack, Aaron, see you Saturday morning.

Tom

1 - 7 of 7 Posts