Spey Pages banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
JD
3,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have the grain weights for the 9/10 & 10/11 XLT lines? Bruce Richards is on vacation till the 25th and I want the info now!:D

Also, If anyone has the 10/11 line and a set of micrometers, I would appreciate a PM with line diameters at ten foot entervals starting at the tip and going to the point where it necks down to shooting line.

Thanks,
><///('>
JD

·
Steelhead Dreamer
462 Posts
This site will give you the weights in grains you are interested in.
http://www.speyshop.com/spey_line_weights__and_head_leng.htm

I have the 10/11 line but don't feel like stripping 105 feet of line onto the floor to do the measurements. Maybe you should learn to be patient and the return of Bruce Richards:>)

Regards,

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Wow! I'd forgotten about the 'huge difference..'

in head weights between these two groups of lines. Not a significant amount in the lines rated 8/9, but up from there it's quite a bit given the 'heads' are pretty much the same length.

SA XLT-8/9F 90 990

SA XLT-9/10F 92 1050

SA XLT-10/11F 102 1265

RIO GRANDSPEY 8/9 100 1100

RIO GRANDSPEY 9/10 100 1300

RIO GRANDSPEY 10/11 100 1500

Had another post back some time ago about 'loosing it' with my Loomis glx3 8/9 and matching up an xlt dry line for this rod. Real answer appears I should be looking at the GrandSpey's.

tnx
fae

·
JD
3,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Loomis GL3

Fred,

When I cast your Loomis GL3 with the 7/8 XLT last summer, I thought it was a pretty good match. Forget whether it was the line that had been cut back 4 ft or not. At any rate, according to my info, the 7/8 XLT weighs 880 grains and the 7/8 Grand Spey weighs in at 900 grains. Do we know anyone local who has a 7/8 Grand Spey?:D

><///('>
JD

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Jim, not that comes to mind on that line.

But if you've got the 8/9 grandspey, wouldn't mind giving that a try.
fae

·
Speyshop's Speybum
462 Posts
My $.02 worth

JD
The S A XLT 7/8 WEIGHT 90 ft 880 grains and the RIO GRANDSPEY 7/8 80 900 GRAINS so you have two lines within 20 grains of each other and two different tapers.

The RIO GRANDSPEY 7/8 if find has been working fairly well on rods that take the SA XLT-8/9F.
You might take a look at the Delta Spey Traditional WF9/10 floating 85.5 ft 800 grains should fit right in.
I would rather work with grain weight and head length that trying to affix a rod weight to line.
I think I said this some where to day.

:smokin:

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Speybum,

I have been finding this to the case as well. I like the GrandSpey as a fishing line (as you know); but if a person buys the GrandSpey based on the rods line recommendation from the rod maker, it will slow it down a bunch because the rod gets overloaded by the GrandSpey. Many rods that I have cast with a GrandSpey that I did not like with the line, simply come alive if you go down one line size.

And I can thank you for first asking me if I had dropped a line size with the GrandSpey to wake me up to the simple physics involved. The rod we cast on Saturday with the 7/8 GrandSpey was a prime example of this. That rod is simply dynamite with the 7/8 GrandSpey; but as you and I agreed, it would be badly overloaded with the 8/9 GrandSpey. And this rod was rated as a 9/10.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
FT, you're the second person in just a few

days that has made a similar comment. They also had "trouble" matching up a GS with their 10wt rod (over lineing issue). Finally put on the 7/8 and love the combination.

Thing I find interesting (at least observationally anyway) is with the xlt it's a good idea to use the top number as the maximum for lining a rod, with the GS it appears dropping down two line sizes is typically the better match.

As noted above the 7/8 xlt and gs are within a whisker of each other in weight, it's a head scratcher as to why they work sooooo differently.

fae

·
Registered
14 Posts
Reading previous posts here there were alot of people complaining about the xlt being to heavy and the grandspey being so much easier to cast. Funnyhow that changes when someone actually weighs some lines. In regards to this post and the other about the aftma ratings mess, in spey I dont think that weight is the only deciding factor of how a line works with a specific rod as taper has a big effect of how a line lifts,forms the D, turnover,etc... Comparing the gs and the xlt although both are looong belly speys are quite different because of the taper.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
In another thread, Way discussed the differences between the GS and the XLT. The taper on the XLT is much longer so much less grains in the first 50 feet than a comparable GS. So it makes sense that the GP would seem heavier that the XLT if you are not casting the full head length. The XLT likely takes better rod casting mechanics for short casts as it may not load the rod as much as the GS. If you are normally casting 70 to 80 feet you would need to upsize on the xlt vs the GS to get the same loading characteristics

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
This difference in how two lines that are within 20 grains of each other in weight perform, behave during the cast, and react to rod and caster dynamics change simply because of the weight being distributed over a different length. The GS 7/8 is distributed over 80 ft, the XLT is distributed over 90 ft. And that is a significant difference im casting dynamics.

It also shows once again why we need to have a uniform wwight standard at a fixed line length for spey lines. If we had such a standard, the GS 7/8 might well be called an 8wt line and the 8/9 XLT might very well also be called an 8 wt.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts