Spey Pages banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

Once again, I'm interested in opinions from other speybrains... stuck on the fence between the GS and XLT for a 9140, and wondered if anyone had experience with either of these combinations.

Thanks in advance,
Bright Waters Bright Fish

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
I have tried the 7/8 GS on my Sage 9140 and the rod is overloaded with it. I wouldn't even consider trying an 8/9 GS on it. I have not cast it with an XLT; however, since it is such a slow rod that lacks butt power, you would probably have to use the 6/7 XLT for it not to be overloaded.

This rod was never designed for casting long-belly lines. It is plenty slow with an 8/9/10 Windcutter and even using a 7/8/9 Windcutter makes for a slow rod.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
The xlt 7-8 is my line of choice for the

9140-4 sage. Zoomer line, even with a brick for a fly (a upper Rogue River 'thingie.') This is the rod/line I use for dry line winter steelhead work with at least a 15' leader and single heavy fly.

As previous post mentioned the GS would, imho, greatly over load the rod.

Sigh ... just read the rest of FT's post. the 6-7 xlt works fine with the Sage 'green' 71360-4; just 'nip off' about 3 foot of the tip to 'blunt' the line if your into long leaders/2 fly set ups.

But back to this rod and chucking tips. Flyshop usa sent me a cut back 9-10-11 WC (don't remember how far, but do have the head so could check if need be) for sinking heads. Works well up to a #8-15' head. You'll max out at about 80', but 95% of the time this is quite enough.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts