Spey Pages banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A question for all you long liners out there, I have 3 Loomis rods i would like to try out with the XLT lines, A 13'GLX 8/9, 14'GLX 9/10 and a 15'GLX 10/11. Any one out there use these rods with XLT's? and if so which lines would you recomend. thanks in advance,tight lines,brian :)

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
I have been using the 13' GLX 8/9 for 7 years and have found it casts the 7/8 XLT very well. I don't own either the 14' 9/10 or 15' 10/11 GLX (I prefer my T&T 1511-3 and 1611-3 over these two GLX's, which is why I don't own them). I've really like the 14' 9/10 with the 8/9 XLT and the 15' 10/11 with the 9/10 XLT. In general I've found that fast rods like the GLX, T&T, Loop Green Series, etc. work best with either the XLT or the GrandSpey if you drop a line size from the rod's designation.

·
Registered
239 Posts
You might consider sending a PM LastCastSteve (he's fishing for Kings now, back in a week)... Steve's on the Loomis Pro staff, and can hadily answer your XLT questions.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have a GLX 15ft and have found that the 10/11 XLT is that bit too heavy. Go for the 9/10#, you will not be let down!! I can not help with the other rods!

Gordon Armstrong

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A follow up question for flytyer

Gordon, thanks for the info i will try the 9/10. spey_bubba thanks i will e-mail steve. flytyer which grandspey do you use on your 13' 8/9 GLX ?.thanks in advance,brian

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Brian,

I use the 7/8 GrandSpey on the 13' 8/9 GLX. The rod has that nice, crisp, easy loading GLX feel with the 7/8 GS that had sold me on the 13' GLX when I bought it. Also, I'm glad that Simon used an 80' belly/back taper on the 7/8 GS because this length is very nice on a 13' rod.

I have also found that if you replace the front 15' of the 7/8 GS with 25' of 10 wt floating Wulff Triangle Taper (Thanks Kush for letting me in on this last fall) you can cast out to 100' without the need to strip line. The addition of the 15' of TT taper to replace the front taper of the GS makes for a very gentle splash down of the fly too.

·
Registered
445 Posts
flytyer,
A little off the subject, on my T&T 1409/5, what do you recommend in a Windcutter? Or an idea on grain weight? Tried an 9/10/11, it seemed way too light. Put a friends 700 gr. Skagit line on it, and while you could cast 90-100 feet, it didn't seem like the rod was loading. Fish in the midwest,with type 6 and type 8 tips. Thanks in advance.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
spey machine,

I'm not sure how much experience you have spey casting or the type of rods you have spey cast in the past. However, it sounds like you are expecting the T&T 1409-5 to be a much softer and more flexible rod than it is. It is one of the fastest 2-hand 14' rods on the market, and is a whole lot faster than the Sage or CND rods.

I like the 8/9/10 Windcutter on both the T&T 1409-5 or 1409-3 and it loads the rod very well for me. The 9/10/11 Windcutter is as heavy a Windcutter I would ever use on the T&T 1409. In fact, the 9/10/11 Windcutter overloads the 1409 for me. Remember that the T&T 1409 (whether 3 piece or 5 piece) is an 8/9 rod, not a 9/10 rod.

It sounds like you are wanting the rod to bend into the butt (thus my assumption in the first paragraph about you expecting it to be a softer, more flexible rod) when you're casting and that is why you are feeling like the 9/10/11 Windcutter is underloading the T&T 1409-5. Keep in mind that the T&T rods are faster recovering, stiffer, progressive, and less flexible than most 2-handers pn the market. They were not designed to bend into the butt section unless you are really putting the wood to them for cast out yonder. However, if you use a quick, powerful, and somewhat shorter stroke when casting the T&T's, the rod practically casts itself. Just because you don't feel the rod bending down into the butt section (or even to the cork like some folks prefer) it doesn't mean the rod is not loading. It simply means that you are expecting the rod to do something it was not designed to do with most casts.

Since you are feeling like the 1409-5 is underloaded and the 9/10/11 Windcutter actually overloads the rod a bit, you might be better served with a more moderate action rod that bends into the butt more readily. The 8/9/10 Windcutter has a weight of 585 gr over its 55' belly so any line and it is the Windcutter I would use on the 1409-5. The 700 gr Skagit head should be just about the right weight for the rod as well, that is why you were able to cast 90'-100' with it.

The good news is that if you keep practicing with your 1409-5 and the Windcutter 9/10/11 that you have (which is Simon G.'s "B" or heavier line suggestion for the rod), you will find as your technique improves and you become used to and comfortable with the faster, stiffer 1409-5 that you will be feeling the rod load and unload. In other words, you will grow into the rod as you spend more time with it, casting it, and learning its nuances. I can guarantee it won't crap out on you and have the tip fold with the type 6 and type 8 sink tips included with mutli-tip lines.

It likes any of the 8/9 short-belly (like the Windcutter 8/9/10, SA Short Spey 8/9, or Delta 8/9) spey lines; the 8/9 mid-belly (like the 8/9 MidSpey, 8/9 Sa Mastery Spey, or 8/9 Long Delta) spey lines; the 8/9 long belly lines (8/9 Accelerator or 8/9 Airflow Traditional); or the 7/8 extended belly lines (7/8 GrandSpey or 7/8 SA XLT).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.