Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my continuing search for a 300 grain line to use with my Winston Boron IIx, 11-foot 7-weight rod. I have found that the Wulff Steelhead Taper 8 floating line has a 50-foot head that weighs 308 grains.

I used the early Wulff Triangle Taper lines with my one-handed rods and liked them very much, but I know nothing about the Steelhead taper.

Is anyone familiar with this line? I am pretty sure my rod will handle the line for overhead casting, but was wondering whether anyone used the Steelhead taper for two-handed casting. Is anyone bringing that line to the Catt Clave?

Thanks in advance for your help.

CK

P.S.

I am also posted this query on the "Lines, Loops, and Leaders" board.

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
I will have an assortment of Wulff spey lines but not this particular line. How far is Royal Wulff from Gowanda I wonda.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Juro,

If you have the regular Triangle Taper T7 and T8, I would appreciate it if you would bring them. They have 40-foot heads and I think they weigh in from about 245 to 290+ grains. Thanks

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Sorry only the Wulff speys and a collection of their tarpon lines for the Atlantis at this time.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I am a huge fan of the traditional Wulff TT lines for single handed rods (no better line in my estimation) but did not care at all for the steelhead taper on a single handed rod - a number of my firends all tried it and for some reason it just does not cast or shoot well. It may work fine as a spey line.

I may actually have this line somewhere (not sure it is an 8) but if so I would be willing to send it to you

·
Registered
14 Posts
Smolt

I use a Wulff Steelhead line on my 6wt 10' spey rod which I use both 1 handed and 2 handed. I like the line but found that I had to jump up a couple of sizes to get the rod to load. I get good performance with a 9 wt line on that 6 wt rod. My experience with the Wulff spey lines is similar. They all seem light for their rated size.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Smolt

The rod is a Thomas & Thomas DH 1006-3, which has become my favorite rod. Now, if I could only find a floating steelhead taper with a sink tip.

Another tidbit of information...I have another line that also works well with this rod, a Rio Windcutter Spey 5/6. Go figure.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Brian,

If you have a steelhead taper line that you like just cut it at 15' and sllice in a loop and use tips from your spey lines.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts