Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried the Royal Wulff Salmon/Spey line on a shorter spey or switch rod? It looks almost like a double taper line (without the back taper).

David

·
loco alto!
3,054 Posts
a double taper is usually level line with only a 10-15' front taper. The exception is the Cortland step double taper (a great casting line). The Wulff triangle tapers have a 55-65' continuous front taper with about 10' of level belly, then a short rear taper. Nothing line a standard DT. They're great casting lines but not so good if using large flies or in windy situations. I have used one (casting only) on an 11' 7 wt. Works great for delicacy.

·
Banned
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Steve,

I probably misspoke when I mentioned DT. The line I was referring to is Wulff's Salmon/Spey line and I am not sure if that carries the TT designation. From what I could find on the their website, it is 120' with 65-80' front taper and 70' head.

David

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
what you have

is a great line!,i've used that 70ft head `spey' line on all sorts of rods,most were of U.K. origin and rated for a DT line, really makes most rods `come to life' including the St Croix 14 ft'r,,,i'm using one on my `Altmor' right now,,they work well `naked' but you can loop on a bit of leadcore as a leader butt and really have some fun,if your rod can handle the extra wt.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
hahaha

now i'm going to have to dig out my calipers!,i don't even know what i have exactly after looking at those specs,,`ancient posts' :tsk_tsk: ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts