Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Update 22 March 2017 - Reel is back up for sale.

For sale is this black and champagne Mk IV 4-1/4" Saracione. Neoprene pouch included. A small handful of very faint swirls on black side plate that are difficult to photograph. Frame is mint. Left hand wind. I would call it 9/10 condition. Functioning flawlessly of course. This reel has never seen much action and it shows. Needs someone who will fish it!

$SPF USD plus actual shipping cost. PayPal or EMT.

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Is the actual weight 16.3oz as listed on Joe's website?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dang it, it overloads the scale I ordered from those dope peddling spammers on here! Caveat emptor I guess... The rest of my order was primo stuff though so I guess I won't hold it against them. Who weighs up 16oz of ganja in one go anyways?? I'm heading to the shop today and will see if their scale can do it, or maybe the post office.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Dang it, it overloads the scale ...
I think that still answers it for a lot of us. :-(

*sigh* Oh baby, if only you were 12 or 13 oz? But then would you really still be you, and would I still lust after you so much?

·
Administrator
2,462 Posts
The Mark IV's are convertible retrieve. So can be changed to RHW also. The Mark V reels cannot be interchanged. Great reels...

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Can somebody refresh my memory on the cold-weather performance issues with the MarkIVs and how easy is the fix? Thanks.

Thanks for checking the weight Seabass.

The Mark IV's are convertible retrieve. So can be changed to RHW also. The Mark V reels cannot be interchanged. Great reels...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Post office scale says 479g which equals 16.89oz. Not sure about cold weather issues, I didn't observe any. I guess Canadian winters aren't so bad after all!

·
Administrator
2,462 Posts
A very limited number of reels...very limited...would experience water getting trapped in the drag and unable to drain. I own 6 or 7 Mark IV's and Joe does the update for free. Again, after several conversations with Joe it was a very small number of reels he would see, but he wants to insure there are zero problems in the field...hence the no charge updates if someone wants them. What he does is ventilate the drag cover so that water can come in and water can go right back out. He also replaces the cork and he's using neetsfoot on the cork. I love the reels I have and all have gone in to Joe. This reel may already have the updates. The way to determine that is to pull the spool (easy...always use a dime in the screws as they're machined for it) and if the plate covering the drag is solid it hasn't been updated. If it has a series of "holes" in it (4-6) it has been updated. Most guys I've talked to on them have never experienced a problem. I just figured why not send them in. No Mark IV is intended to be submerged. At a grand a piece I don't tend to want to lay them in the water anyway. On the 4 1/4 above...balances my Burkie 8152 perfectly and also balances my up locking seat 9145 just as well.

FYI...I have no connection to Joe...just have several of his reels and finally got to meet him at Poppy's clave a month ago.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Thanks Brian. Doesn't seem like an issue. I definitely always avoid submerging my reels whenever possible.

re: dime. To even get more contact on the exposed screw slot people should try and use a dime (nickel silver which is softer than most screws) that's had 1/4 of it ground or cut off which leaves a much larger flat surface contact point. Much less chance to strip the screw head. Olson reels come with these and I won't unscrew any of my other slotted screws (i.e. Perfects, etc) without them now.

A very limited number of reels...very limited...would experience water getting trapped in the drag and unable to drain. I own 6 or 7 Mark IV's and Joe does the update for free. Again, after several conversations with Joe it was a very small number of reels he would see, but he wants to insure there are zero problems in the field...hence the no charge updates if someone wants them. What he does is ventilate the drag cover so that water can come in and water can go right back out. He also replaces the cork and he's using neetsfoot on the cork. I love the reels I have and all have gone in to Joe. This reel may already have the updates. The way to determine that is to pull the spool (easy...always use a dime in the screws as they're machines for it) and if the plate covering the drag is solid it hasn't been updated. If it has a series of "holes" in it (4-6) it has been updated. Most guys I've talked to on them have never experienced a problem. I just figured why not send them in. No Mark IV is intended to be submerged. At a grand a piece I don't tend to want to lay them in the water anyway. On the 4 1/4 above...balances my Burkie 8152 perfectly and also balances my up locking seat 9145 just as well.

FYI...I have no connection to Joe...just have several of his reels and finally got to meet him at Poppy's clave a month ago.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the great info guys. Opened her up and checked, no ventilation on the drag cover. And yes, these are convertible retrieve - it was RHW when I received it. Can't for the life of me find the instructions for that but I remember it wasn't so tough. Checked the YouTube, if you search "How to Switch Retrieve Saracione Fly Fishing Reel" it should walk you through it.

Not as fancy a photo as the previous ones…

[/URL]

·
Registered
317 Posts
Reel weight should not be a deal breaker

There are a number of ways to get a rod, reel and line to balance. In reality, however balance is not a static point on a handle. It changes for every addition or subtraction in the amount of line used. Upper hand placement often changes (which affects balance… and are barely noticeable, if at all). So, consider --

A 12oz. reel that balances a rod held at 14'' from it, would equally balance a 16oz. reel held 10" from it (weight x arm = moment. Equal moments have the same balance characteristics).

A reel is a lot more than a counterweight… it's a machine. Some (like the one for sale) are very fine machines and should be considered in that light.
I doubt that many of us would be convinced to fish for small fish because big ones are too heavy :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Alright, this is the last last try. Fiancee didn't notice the new (old) perfect on the shelf so it's not imperative that I sell this! Yes, I purposely keep my fly cave on the messy side so new things aren't so noticeable.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts