Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, it's more of a baby Skagit rod than a true switch, I suppose.

I bought this one new and have been the only owner. It is very well-taken care of and has never been abused. I may regret selling this rod but given my current life circumstances it has only been used a handful of times in the past 2 years and won't be seeing much more use for the next couple.

It is worth reading about the action of these rods for those unfamiliar because it is somewhat unique. Brian Niska basically designed these rods specifically for Skagit casting and they are awesome for throwing short, heavy lines like the OPST Commando. And on that note I will throw in the 300 grain OPST Commando head I've been using with this rod since that line won't be needed if I sell the rod.

Asking $450 CDN shipped, which is about $320 USD. These are selling new for $590 CDN.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey There!

I am interested in this rod, after doing some research seems pretty neat. Since it doesn't have the traditional line weighting what would you compare this to? Guessing off of the commando your using I would say light 6wt? Ultimately, I am trying to determine if its enough rod for GL steelhead.

Any advice/info is appreciated.

thanks!
Mason

·
Registered
106 Posts
I’ll let the seller comment but I think this would too light for a steelhead rod. Pieroways are great but you might be better off with the MD510 at least.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Honestly I felt this rod was perfect for some GL steelhead. Part of the problem I had with it is it's a bit heavy for trout spey but a bit light for general steelhead fishing. It's somewhere between a 5 and 6 wt. I do have a 510 and it is my go-to steelhead rod if I think I might run into a 10+ lb fish. But for places where the fish average 6ish lbs I found it perfect. I used it last year on the Catt in western NY and for a river like that it is the perfect size. For the Salmon in NY? Maybe a bit on the small side, though it would be plenty of rod for half or so of the steelhead I have seen out of there.

·
Registered
34 Posts
This rod works beautifully for my Atlantic Salmon fishing needs. My preferred setup is either the Airflo scandi short 390gr, rio 325gr scandi body with a floating tip, or the rio skagit short 420gr.
I'm not sure I'll ever be able to part with it

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
268 Posts
I have this rod and I love it for swinging big flies for bull trout, and it's great for Pink Salmon as well.
I use the same lines and TSFishGuyNL and think that it's a great rod.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hey There!

I am interested in this rod, after doing some research seems pretty neat. Since it doesn't have the traditional line weighting what would you compare this to? Guessing off of the commando your using I would say light 6wt? Ultimately, I am trying to determine if its enough rod for GL steelhead.

Any advice/info is appreciated.

thanks!
Mason
Here's a old photo from a few years back of a jack chin with a 400 .. It'll handle most great lakes fish. Unless your catching huge ones or the real deal in b.c i'd wouldn't worry too much. I caught great lakes chinook's in smaller sizes and steelhead on a 400 before i gave it to my dad.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts