Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
I agree with wrx_canoe, the rocker design on the scadden is way better then the watermaster. If you fish slow moving rivers or stillwater, you should really be considering a scadden. Also, with the Assault XX and Assault XXX you can potentially carry a passenger or more gear for camping trips etc.

Don't get caught up in the marketing hype around watermaster.

·
Registered
152 Posts
"Don't get caught up in the marketing hype around watermaster."

Sorry had to laugh at that one! Pardon the pun, but Scadden is in the same boat!

I agree WM are very slow, and having a boat with some rocker is beneficial.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I agree and disagree. I have a WM Kodiak and a Scadden Renegade. The Renegade dominates on slow to still water because of its rocker, but the WM kills in heavy water due to its large foot print. The WM rigid seat base is way more supportive and comfortable for long floats. The Rockered boats are more maneuverable in heavy water but the WM large foot print makes it feel like your Stuck to the water with no way of flipping. The WM is way more durable compared to my Scadden and the oar lock/boat connection is much more rigid so less flex. I only run rivers so my WM is my go to, but if I was heading to a lake I'd take my Scadden. I don't ever believe Hype, but it is interesting that no one ever sells their WM. Just a thought.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have doubled down the river with another person in the Kodiak. VERY comfortable. Doing my research and sounds like the Scadden valves are just crap no? The seat seems much more durable/comfy on the WM as well. As for the "marketing hype".. have you seen how Dave markets the **** out of his boats! hahah what a joke. Those videos are SO corny. Seems to me like Watermasters are doing all the marketing for themselves as FLY DDS stated… you rarely see anyone selling them. A much nicer looking unit IMO with it not having some self-loathing dude's signature plastered allover the damn thing.

·
Registered
231 Posts
watermaster and scadden

I have one of each,( just happened that way!) each has its own attributes.
WM- very stable, quality to last,EVERYthing works,and is well thought out,stripping apron, oars, ( the seat gets a little hard after a while) but that easy to fix, bring a 1 inch med foam pad to go under seat
Yes there is no rocker in the WM,( and I`am not the best at rowin) so maybe its a little slow,but thats ok so far. lake fishing, the no rocker is great,easy to strip and retreive.Quality quality quality

Scadden ( single person xtreme- rocker is good and it does move fast on the water,inflatable seat, very comfortable, tubes seem good quality, orginal oars- poor quality,mine has upgraded valves and are good,had to buy the stripping apron as an extra,also the oars,you have to adjust strip and retrieve on still waters due to the rocker( no big deal) quality is good ,not perfect
Customer service ( depends on who answers the phone), did not come with a bag to store- that was an extra.

Flying as baggage- easy for both,WM has straps for carrying it on your back( if your young enough)

If you looking for used in either brand- troll Craigs list( where I found the WM used) in Nor Cal- the scadden was a demo store model,on craigs list
Just make it your hobby to troll Craigs list

Look at Catcher craft- Jacks Plastic welding
I think jacks PW has a open bottom model,single person,but not sure,Jacks does have a single person with a small rowing frame,
good luck

·
Registered
54 Posts
I forgot to mention that I've had to have Scadden replace the entire boat because of poorly fitted valves and the valve on the newer one still leeks around the outside. I've also had to replace the oar lock portion on both sides due to breakage. If you get either boat I suggest upgrading to a heavy duty oar because I've bent 3 of the stock oars on the Scadden. I got the upgraded Caviness oars on the WM and they aren't going to bend. Hope it helps

·
Registered
6 Posts
Any Kodiak WM out there?

Hey guys, new to the forum. Was told this is the place to look for a Kodiak. Any help would be great. Looking for something this winter. Keep me posted. Thanx.

One.More.Cast

1 - 20 of 20 Posts