Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a Olson Reel. Let me know if you have one for sale.
Thanks,
Estes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Haha good luck, 1 comes up used about every 10 yrs or so. Best bet is to get in line and wait! About 1.5 yrs left for mine, sigh!

·
One more cast...
103 Posts
What a beauty, Mike!

Reactions: Storybook

·
Premium Member
Meiser, T&T, and OPST two handers; Scott, Orvis, & Winston SH. Danielsson and Hardy Reels
1,046 Posts
Far be it for me to suggest to anyone else how they want to spend their money, but I keep wondering what it is about reels costing over a thousand dollars. How will such a reel enhance the probability of hooking or landing a fish? I've spent money on top of line Hardy reels, but I'm wondering about the really high-priced reels.

·
skagitard with skagitude
295 Posts
Far be it for me to suggest to anyone else how they want to spend their money, but I keep wondering what it is about reels costing over a thousand dollars. How will such a reel enhance the probability of hooking or landing a fish? I've spent money on top of line Hardy reels, but I'm wondering about the really high-priced reels.
Spending money on a reel isn't about increasing the odds of hooking fish at all. If that's what you're concerned about then sell your Spey gear, spend all the cash on guides, and chuck beads.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I once looked down at my light trout outfit and considered how much it would have cost, if I had not made the rod…Godfrey reel about $1k at the time, cane rod about the $same$, silk DT line made by Mike Brookes in France (Phoenix lines) $250 or so… I tyed the fly. All that hand made light trout 4wt tackle, and I had personal contact with the men who made it.

What can I say, a cheap production reel does the job as well as a hand made reel, but the pride in ownership of the latter enhances the time spent on the water without doubt.

Malcolm

·
Registered
554 Posts
There is no answer to this. Just what you want, like and can afford. I know very wealthy people who fish with cheap gear. Others of modest means who will scrimp and save to buy the best. It really isn't about helping to catch fish. Just how you want to spend the money you have available, and what gives you pride of ownership and pleasure. Once you provide for your family properly, is more enjoyment to be gained from a fine reel, or just more money in the bank? Everyone fortunately can make that choice for themselves.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Do you drive a '71 Pinto? Everything over "Point A to Point B" is showing off I guess.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,393 Posts
I’ve never landed a fish on an Olson, Saracione or Bogdan that I wouldn’t have landed on a Phlueger Medalist. That said, when I pass on, my sons could care less about inheriting a Medalist. This way, if the want to keep them, they can know they have the old man’s cool reels. If they don’t, they can sell them for what I paid for them or more. Seems like a win-win.

·
Administrator
2,450 Posts
I have a pair of them due in a couple weeks or so and it's been a 40+ month wait. Wasn't perfect timing for the "time's up, pay up Bucko" phone call, but I'd waited this long and there was no passing on them for me. I am certainly not a guy who can carelessly throw cash at toys (twins in college and another in a year), but these reels will absolutely make the limited time I get on swinging water all the more enjoyable. Kind of like the satisfaction of opening a Wheatley swing leaf on the river and oogling over all of the flies...many of which are from the fine folks on here. Or taking the time to hold a rod out in front of me while on the river to just look at it and soak in Bob's work. I spend far more time fishing than catching and that time is enhanced with some of this boutique gear. I think it's about making the very best of the experience...for me. Life flies by at mach 10, but river time brings it all in to slow motion.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I know Gene “glcaddis” knows what it’s like to own fine equipment..
For me it’s a statement mainly to myself, I do really fricking deserve this very expensive equipment.. No one handed it to me, I earned every penny and it makes me happy..
So when I see a fine fishing reel being purchased, I tip my hat to the man or woman who deserved it..
Rod

1 - 20 of 24 Posts