Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a wonderful Spey day yesterday on a river that is big stick friendly(Our rivers here in Ontario are pretty small), however the only big stick I have is an Euro 9/10. Pretty big stick for the size of the fish in the river. So I figured I would float this out there to see what people have kicking around that is pretty light, that would handle fish 12- 8 pounds, and still throw 100 foot casts. This could become my Christmas gift. Any rods to look into for research would also be appreciated.

Regards
Brayden

·
Registered
249 Posts
I think an ACR 13'8 6wt. would do this nice and you could proably use any
line system you wanted. I think they come 4 and 5 pc. model.
I 've cast a 6 weight XLT on it and it was kinda fun.
I like mine and use a Hardy salmon 2 reel on it.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Bob Meiser makes a 15'9" 4/5/6 wt. I've never even seen one, but I imagine it would be a lot of fun for what you describe (and a darn nice x-mas present). I'm sure others here that own or have used that stick will chime in.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I would think a 5/6 weight 15 footer would put a lot of stress on the graphite, no? Bob would probably be the best option for something like that.

·
Recently Spey'd
816 Posts
Bob Meiser makes a 15'9" 4/5/6 wt. I've never even seen one, but I imagine it would be a lot of fun for what you describe (and a darn nice x-mas present). I'm sure others here that own or have used that stick will chime in.
Bingo.
That rod rocks. Throws a 6/7 delta with type 6/8 tips and intruders a good distance with little effort. 5/6 GPS for floating line work.
Being a light line rod if feels like a 13' 7/8 in hand.
Love that rod!

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the info guys. Does anyone have something they would like to get ride of? I know it is a specialty rod. Just not sure if I can swing a Meiser for Christmas. I would proably have to cut down on my time on the river to convince the wife of that. Tough call.

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
Maybe a blank and custom build is a viable way into the Meiser!!! It's going to be hard to find a 15 5/6/7 used. Anglers Roost has a 14' 5/6. Not fan of their rods/costumer service and wouldn't recommend, although they do offer some nice lines cheap. But you can get a blank 15'9" 5 weight for $325 from Meiser and top-notch components for another $70 to $100 depending on what you choose. You could probably get under that with the holiday sales coming-up and have yourself just what you want for Christmas.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is a great idea. I have never built a rod. I actually have an Anglers roost 5/6 kit, I have been putting off building as between work and time on the water, i do not have much time other then to keep up on the flies, I am losing. I will think on this more. Biggest problem, is that I want the rod now, as the temp window is closing for the swing here in the next three weeks max.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts