Spey Pages banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have been having great luck using my yakima ski racks to hold my rods. Not sure if that's an option for you but if it is you should try it.

·
fly fisher 'til it's over
1,130 Posts
My Yakima's work well too. I slid foam pipe insulation on the ends, and use some small bungies (with plastic knob at one end) to secure rods. Works like a charm - rods on.....rods off.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Call Poppy at the Red Shed, he carries the good stuff. Get the magnetized ones, they are bomber and I've used mine many days driving up and down the Clearwater and recently the Thompson.

Mike

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Same here.

Call Poppy at the Red Shed, he carries the good stuff. Get the magnetized ones, they are bomber and I've used mine many days driving up and down the Clearwater and recently the Thompson.

Mike
Only thing you need to know (mag ones or 'suction cups') is what is your car/jeep made of. My old Liberty is solid steel so I have the double Mag one's and never (well, on the rare occasion) take the things off.

When you put the double Mag footers on, the sound is a loud CLUNK! Up to four 2handers and off you go. I've, in my younger days, been doing 70 mph and save for the rod tips they weren't going anywhere save for where we were headed. Two old dogs in the back of the Liberty, full tank of Petrol and off to where-ever.

Doggie's are gone now as well as the day I'd drive over 62 miles per hour, even on a Freeway. I'm now the old guy putting along in the slow lane. :rolleyes: Those rigged up rods get you a lot of looks by passing Auto's. :D

·
Registered
172 Posts
I use Thule ski racks and in my opinion they are better then the rod holders you can buy. They are quick, secure, lockable and you can fit over 4 rods no problem! But the best part is I can also use them when I go skiing ;-)
I have used the magnetic ones which work great, but to me they have some drawbacks.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Matt16, if you have time, and a little skill you can make your own. Harbor Freight has the suction cup glass holders $7or$8 each, and bungees $4. Go to any hardware store get 3/4 PVC pipe cheap. I have seen the plans on other Fly Fish sites just can't remember where. You could put it together for under $25 bucks USD. Just another way to do it. Cheers Dave

·
Registered
305 Posts

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,408 Posts
Been using vac rack for years. The magnet version is great. The suction, less so. I agree that the spacer is nice on the hood one. You can get around it by having the reel I above the t-bar instead of below but it is better with the additional spacer for sure.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Magnetic Rod Racks

I have the magnetic rod racks and they work great other then they scratch your paint if you take them off and on a lot. Just be careful if it's been raining hard before you put it on it has a tendency to let go if you do not get rid of some of the water. The other thing is check to see if you have a plastic engine bonnet, my 2012 Journey has one and I have to put both on the roof and since I'm not that tall it takes a little more work to get the rods on and off.

Alan

1 - 13 of 13 Posts