Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone make tube flies in sizes 8,10,12 for trout?

This is beyond my skills but I thought I might try something new

Thank you

·
Banned
571 Posts
Grays of Kilsyth...

That is an interesting request. I know of one shop that sells salmon and trout flies tied on micro tubes...smallest size tube is 1.5 mm by 10 mm. It depends on what type of trout fishing you are doing...sea run fish or...The name of the shop is Grays of Kilsyth and it is in Scotland. The owner is John Gray and he has a great website for the shop, showing lots of patterns and some of the collections that can be purchased. The theme of his flies is salmon and sea trout fishing. I use a lot of very small tube flies here in BC, and I have caught lots of sea run trout when fishing for salmon or steelhead. I haven't bothered to tie river run trout patterns on tubes yet, but I think a Golden Stone would be a fun pattern to develop. Have at look at John Gray's site... he has beautiful wee hackle wing and hair wing flies that are less than an inch long. *Had a senior moment. There is another shop that I know, Fishmadman in Denmark. They do a lot of trout flies and have developed quite a set of riffle hitch patterns for surface fishing. That site is also full of really good information, and it is owned by two of the nicest guys you could ever meet long distance. Cheers, Buff.

·
Banned
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Buff, awesome, thanks so much!!

·
Banned
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Those are nice, but cost prohibitive given the exchange rate :(

·
Banned
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is an interesting request. I know of one shop that sells salmon and trout flies tied on micro tubes...smallest size tube is 1.5 mm by 10 mm. It depends on what type of trout fishing you are doing...sea run fish or...The name of the shop is Grays of Kilsyth and it is in Scotland. The owner is John Gray and he has a great website for the shop, showing lots of patterns and some of the collections that can be purchased. The theme of his flies is salmon and sea trout fishing. I use a lot of very small tube flies here in BC, and I have caught lots of sea run trout when fishing for salmon or steelhead. I haven't bothered to tie river run trout patterns on tubes yet, but I think a Golden Stone would be a fun pattern to develop. Have at look at John Gray's site... he has beautiful wee hackle wing and hair wing flies that are less than an inch long. *Had a senior moment. There is another shop that I know, Fishmadman in Denmark. They do a lot of trout flies and have developed quite a set of riffle hitch patterns for surface fishing. That site is also full of really good information, and it is owned by two of the nicest guys you could ever meet long distance. Cheers, Buff.
Buff,

I'm going to rider som. At a dozen for 65$ that's pretty reasonable since it's around 5$ a fly and if I can get a handful of sessions out of each, very worth while. I'll let you know how it goes

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
Does anyone make tube flies in sizes 8,10,12 for trout?

This is beyond my skills but I thought I might try something new

Thank you
J. James,

Consider visiting Upcountry Sportfishing, New Hartford, CT this Sat 1:00-4:00pm.

We have arranged to have John Albright owner of HMH vise company, visit and give a trout tube fly tying demo. He will have materials and adapters available for sale in the shop as well as the HMH tube vise accessories. He is planning to have 6 vises set up for those who wish to join in on the tying. No fee for the day.

HMH has a package with DVD, tube adapter and an assortment of tubes for less than $50 retail.

We do not work for the fly shop,, just arranged a demo/class for trout flies on tubes.

Regards,
FK

1 - 7 of 7 Posts