Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Continuing my quest for a San Jose-built Floyd T. Lovens Thompson 100. This is sorta my 'grail' reel right now. Got some San Fran 500s, a San Jose 200, and a pair of 'special' San Fran 100s. The San Jose Thompson 100 is a big hole to fill! If you can part with one, or can put me on the right track to one, I would appreciate it.

Wouldn't mind picking up another Reels, Inc. San Fran-made Thompson 100 or a 500 of any vintage. But I really want the Lovens-built 100.

Here's a thread over at Clark's for additional information. http://classicflyrodforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=41839

Best,
RyanAK

·
Registered
333 Posts
re reel

Have you tried Rick at Westslope-I remember seeing a Thompson on their site but didn't pay that much attention.Even if he doesn't if you talk to him he may know where one is avalable.I hav bought reels from him in past and he is great/honest/enthusiastic-PS I am not related.
Keit

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Keit - Rick doesn't currently have any posted, but it's for sure worth giving him a call. Thanks for the reminder.

Alonzo - I kind of have it bad for these reels. Thompsons and old Heddon Imperials are by far my favorite reels for fishing. Most of my Hardy's sit on the shelf! And I guess I should edit that to "a single 'special' San Fran 100." One recently went to a good home with a forum member in NorCal.

Anyway, the Floyd T. Lovens San Jose '200' is normally the tough one to find. But I managed to scoop one up. So help a brother out with a 100 and I'll stop posting these want ads!

R

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bumping is the forum classifieds equal to begging.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Andrew - thanks man! I appreciate it. And if you ever have a want of classic gear that proves hard to find, shoot me a line. I have some nifty connections.

Wait... Gates Au Sable? PM on the way.

R

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Indefatigable. That's me. Still looking. Nifty trade bait available. Finders premium if you put me in touch with someone who'll part with this reel.

RyanAK

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Still. Looking. I heard a rumor of one in Oregon, but the specifics are sketchy. Kinda like Big Foot.

·
Registered
217 Posts
thompson reel

I had one of these exact reels in near mint condition that I sold to Bud Frasca Sp? at Northwest Classic Tackle. It was in my family for years as my grandfather was friends with Floyd Lovens. Caught some nice Skagit/Sauk steelies on it but just don't feel comfortable with RHW.
So contact him and see if he'll put you in touch with the buyer/collector, maybe they'll sell it.
Good Luck

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey dtrap - was this a 100 or 200, and how long ago did Bud have it? Thanks for the lead man. Really appreciate it!

R

·
Registered
217 Posts
thompson reel

I'm pretty sure it was a 100 series. The reel was all silver. It looked like it had never been finished, just left raw. The story was my grandfather helped design it and that this was a prototype. Not sure that's true as there is now no one left to ask such questions.
I made a new aluminum foot for it as the old brass one was bent. I may still have the old one around however?
This transaction was about a year ago, maybe less.
Dake

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good deal Dake. This is like a treasure hunt. Following one clue to the next. I really appreciate the lead, and I'll let you know how it goes.

Best,
Ryan

·
Registered
217 Posts
thompson reel

cool, good luck. I got the feeling when talking with Bud that the guy that bought it wasn't going to fish it much, more of a collector. Could be good for you as these guys seem to be always trading one reel for another.
Sorry I sold it now as I would rather have it going to someone who's really going to fish it! It's a fishy reel.
Dake

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Still looking. Starting to seem like this reel is a myth!

R

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just sent another email to Bud, Dake. No luck the last time around.

Unicorns. You betcha.

R

1 - 20 of 27 Posts