Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to purchase a reel for my Sharpes 12 sliced cane rod, I would prefer a larger reel with a agate line guide if that is possible. If anyone has one please let me know. I can pay via Paypal right away.
Barry

·
Arthurs Seat
Hardy,Sharpes,Burkies,Meisers Saracione
309 Posts
Hey Barry, I've been fishing this rod lately and have had a Cascapedia 8/9 (not bad) a 7/9 loop Classic (better fit than the Hardy ) and just yesterday I used 4" pre war Perfect ( excellent fit, but prefer to use this reel for special occasions )
I think the reels with the agate guides are the trout size reels and will not come close to balancing that rod. Even using the 4" I find the balance point on the swing is above the cork. I might have a look at some of Tim's reels......something with some heft to it.

Good luck.

Jim

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Barry, I've been fishing this rod lately and have had a Cascapedia 8/9 (not bad) a 7/9 loop Classic (better fit than the Hardy ) and just yesterday I used 4" pre war Perfect ( excellent fit, but prefer to use this reel for special occasions )
I think the reels with the agate guides are the trout size reels and will not come close to balancing that rod. Even using the 4" I find the balance point on the swing is above the cork. I might have a look at some of Tim's reels......something with some heft to it.

Good luck.

Jim
Jim, I've been in communication with Speyco, yes he his willing to build a reel for me at a reasonable cost. He is also open to the idea of a agate guide, although he thinks other materials might be more suitable.
Barry

·
Arthurs Seat
Hardy,Sharpes,Burkies,Meisers Saracione
309 Posts
Jim, I've been in communication with Speyco, yes he his willing to build a reel for me at a reasonable cost. He is also open to the idea of a agate guide, although he thinks other materials might be more suitable.
Barry

Nice!!!!........guide ring and in extra wide. That would be sweet :smokin::smokin: might look into that myself. Love to see a pic if that's the direction you go.

Jim

·
Heartlander
170 Posts
Hi Barry,

again Peter from Germany.

I use a Young 1540 on my rod and with 170g weight on the end of the rod it is balancing near the Scottie Dog.
I think a SpeyCo reel would look very nice on that rod!!

Tight lines
Peter

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have some Hardy Brass Face Perfect Reels from the late 1800's to early 1900's 3 3/4 " to 4 1/14 ". Very expensive, so not sure if they would interest you.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have some Hardy Brass Face Perfect Reels from the late 1800's to early 1900's 3 3/4 " to 4 1/14 ". Very expensive, so not sure if they would interest you.

Thanks, but I think I'm going to go with a reel from Speyco. Tim is going to build a reel to my specs. I'll publish photo's when I receive it.
Barry

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Good call!

Thanks, but I think I'm going to go with a reel from Speyco. Tim is going to build a reel to my specs. I'll publish photo's when I receive it.
Barry
Tim, and his machine shop, are majic. His reels are damned near indestructable; you would have to do something totally theatric to damage one of those. Extra good part is you have a 'tonne of options' as to how you want the reel finished off.

fae

1 - 8 of 8 Posts