Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to find a line suitable for an 11' 3 wt rod. Thinking something in the 250 grain category. Maybe a wulff ambush or the like. Not looking to spend a ton as it may take a few tries to get the right line to match the rod. I have other single hand and skagit heads I could trade or if you have one for sale that us good too.
Many thanks, Gary

·
Registered
80 Posts
Rio Short Scandi versitip is a great line for single handers.

I have a 10' B&W Grilse and Seatrout rod rated #8 which works brilliantly with the Rio line in #5. It is vital you use the line 3 weights under the rod rating when using as a single hander.

Brilliant for spey and overhead casts in tight places.

It flies!!

Paul

·
Registered
231 Posts
Spey line

You might want to speak with Steve Godshall(SGS lines), he's quite the line guru. You tell him the rod type and what you need it to do, and he'll make it. I've had him make me lines a few times, including for my 3wt spey, and he has never disappointed me. He's extremely knowledgeable and fairly priced. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Gary, I don't want to spoil your fun, but a 4- or 5-weight single hand line, either weight forward or double taper, may well do everything you need done, or at least get your learning process off to a good start.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input fellas. I've got a bead on a couple lines. Thanks for the pm. The rod is a custom rod I had built. It could probably been built as a switch rod but I opted to make it a single hander. It is quite a fast stick so thought maybe something a little beefier might be better.

Gary

1 - 6 of 6 Posts