Spey Pages banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm probably going to regret it someday, but I've committed myself to buying a fly rod for my son every year for his birthday, with the weight of the rod/line corresponding to his age. Found a one weight (not easy); two weight was easier. Could easily buy a new three, but thought maybe there's someone out there with a three weight left over from their past life, and a desire to pass it along. I'd rather pay someone from this forum than some retailer (site sponsors excepted, of course). I know it's not spey related ('till he gets a little older at least), but thought I'd throw it out there. Let me know if you've got something that fits the bill. I'm thinking something in the $100-$150 range (kid's only 3 after all), but I'm willing to consider anything you've got.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Here's your good news, I'm a softy for "Passing it Forward" to kids. Done it many times.

I have a very good full on 3wt kit (rod, reel, line, leader) that I don't use as I went to 'Boo in this rod weight. If interested, PM me; cost is 'free' save for you reimburse me the packaging/postage.

Only assurance I'd like is you will teach him how to use same, and he will. Tad young, but I had my first fly rod in my hands at age 5'ish and my first 2hander at age 10 or 12. (That Greenheart beat the hell out of me!!)

Fred

·
Registered
370 Posts
Or check out the echo gecko. great rod for kids
I am fairly hard to impress. I bought one of these for my daughter, over lined it to a WF5 line. It is truly amazing to cast. She can feel the rod load and also two hand cast (has a small fighting butt/spey handle).

Nice offer Fred.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Here's your good news, I'm a softy for "Passing it Forward" to kids. Done it many times.

I have a very good full on 3wt kit (rod, reel, line, leader) that I don't use as I went to 'Boo in this rod weight. If interested, PM me; cost is 'free' save for you reimburse me the packaging/postage.

Only assurance I'd like is you will teach him how to use same, and he will. Tad young, but I had my first fly rod in my hands at age 5'ish and my first 2hander at age 10 or 12. (That Greenheart beat the hell out of me!!)

Fred
Awesome. I salute you !!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to Fred...

I've obviously taken Fred up on his incredible offer and generosity, on the promise that my son will put it to good and respectful use, and that both he and I will carry the gift forward. Great testament to this brotherhood and our wonderful sport in general. Thanks to everyone who made other offers, all very generous in their own right as well. My boy Liam will have a great birthday.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Many thank for the kind words.

All I need is the 'name and address.' Getting these things boxed up is a pain, but one UPS (Ashland, OR) shop just see's me coming and roll their eyes.

'Here we go again.' :D

Haven't had a miss yet; a "Good Thing" me thinks?

Kidding aside, my first venture into this was 20'ish + years ago on the Russian River in Nor-Kal. Tossing a 2hander (my first 7136-4 GIIISage) and Father/Son walk up behind me. Eyes in the back of my head, and I just 'feel them.'

Reel in, walk in and 'What's that, never seen anything like that' from the 'Boy.'

'Want to learn?' (My first spey casting lesson, I kid you not)

Young fellow just waded in to the river .. again, I kid you not. A total natural, he was dead on in less than 20 minutes.

'I need to go to the bathroom, just keep casting.' Took a pee, zipped up, turned around, and young fellow had FISH ON!!!

From the Father: 'What would that .. etc, cost me?'

"Nothing, it's his," and I walked away.

Taken me years, but I got my replacement rod just a few days back. Still trying to figure out how to properly line the old Sage 7136. Trying lines I have, but just not the same. First was 'Fire/Wind/Soil' connection; Heaven Made combo.

fae

·
Banned
894 Posts
All I need is the 'name and address.' Getting these things boxed up is a pain, but one UPS (Ashland, OR) shop just see's me coming and roll their eyes.

'Here we go again.' :D

Haven't had a miss yet; a "Good Thing" me thinks?

Kidding aside, my first venture into this was 20'ish + years ago on the Russian River in Nor-Kal. Tossing a 2hander (my first 7136-4 GIIISage) and Father/Son walk up behind me. Eyes in the back of my head, and I just 'feel them.'

Reel in, walk in and 'What's that, never seen anything like that' from the 'Boy.'

'Want to learn?' (My first spey casting lesson, I kid you not)

Young fellow just waded in to the river .. again, I kid you not. A total natural, he was dead on in less than 20 minutes.

'I need to go to the bathroom, just keep casting.' Took a pee, zipped up, turned around, and young fellow had FISH ON!!!

From the Father: 'What would that .. etc, cost me?'

"Nothing, it's his," and I walked away.

Taken me years, but I got my replacement rod just a few days back. Still trying to figure out how to properly line the old Sage 7136. Trying lines I have, but just not the same. First was 'Fire/Wind/Soil' connection; Heaven Made combo.

fae
Wow Fred, what great karma you have. That is an awesome story and you have gained a whole new level of respect in my eyes & from this whole fishing community. Cheers, Ed

·
Registered
298 Posts
Fred, really cool!

Just to chime in -- as the kid grows into ages 4 5 and 6 , Ross makes wonderful little starter kits (Essence Rod, Flystart Reel, line, tippet, CD) Ross Essence FS Fly Rod and Reel Combo. You can often find "open box" of these and just get the rod and reel, a great value. I have the 3/4wt and it is delightful.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Fred -

You're a good man. As others have mentioned, this is one of the many reasons why I like this sport so much. Passing it on and paying it forward is what life is all about. I suspect Fred was wiser than most to be so young, way back when :), and see the value in passing it on.

To think how much one gesture might impact the future of a young man or gal. They could become river conservationists, guides, or biologists. Those of us that started fishing young know that it kept us out of trouble, taught us respect for the river and the wildlife that rely on it. We didn't have to carry the same burdens as our peers because we had time on the river to rid the stresses of life; we met older and wiser men who shared far more than knots and casts - but the knowledge to untangle the challenges of life.

Your acts are inspiring, Fred, and I will share these values with my children, too.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
This is NOT working out as well as I'd hoped. Posted the rod off on December 13th and still nothing on the other end. Christmas Rush is well behind us so this may be one of those 'lost in the mail' deals?:saevilw:

I've shipped many a rod/package to the UK and the longest it took from my hand to theirs was 10 working days. And that's two postal systems and a 6,000 miles of air space between.

Fred

1 - 18 of 18 Posts