Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
registered text offender
1,330 Posts
check out gorge fly shop site. outcast roll top dry duffle. at least as big, much tougher material, only about 100 bucks. ll bean also has the same one stitch for stitch, as the simms.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. The LL Bean looks interesting. That may work. I couldn't find the outcast roll top, or are you talking about a basic roll top dry bag?

I have a reel and gear case, zip open top, with a shoulder strap but it is nylon fabric and soaks up rain. I spent yesterday on the Sandy River and it rained hard. I have lots of dry bags but want something waterproof that I can keep my reels, lines, leader, fly boxes etc in.

·
Administrator
2,449 Posts
I have the large Simms and it fits all of my spey gear nicely...reels, boxes, head wallet, etc, etc, etc...and even a light hat and gloves...and a small flask just in case:D. Very pleased with it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the large Simms and it fits all of my spey gear nicely...reels, boxes, head wallet, etc, etc, etc...and even a light hat and gloves...and a small flask just in case:D. Very pleased with it.
And you'll sell it for $199.00 right? ;)

Yeah the Sims is more what I am after.... zip open top and waterproof.

·
registered text offender
1,330 Posts
aahh.... i was thinking of the roll top dry creek duffle(thats my old one behind ruby in my avatar) i have freinds that had trouble with the zippers blowing out on the boat bag. maybe they fixed the problem? it wasnt until after a few dozen trips, and its been a year since i heard any reports. i now have the bean version of the dry duffle with my canvas boat bag inside surrounded by rain gear, giant streamer boxes etc. and it sits outside in bilge water, and rain for days on end without getting wet. easier in and out then a zipper. i only buckle it for trailer rides and whitewater.

the one at the gorge is the alaska roll top. checked out one in another boat at the ramp. looks and feels more bulletproof than simms or bean.

·
Administrator
2,449 Posts
The Simms bags did have a zipper issue at one point...as I have one with a blown out zipper. Mine was one of the orange ones in size medium from about 12 years ago. I believe Simms made a change as the same bag is now back on the market in gray and I own one of those. Have heard of no problems with them. I use it for trout gear. The large bag has the side mounted carry handle...like a briefcase...so the zipper is not carrying the full load of the bag and contents.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Gear Bag

Same issue, same river. I ended up buying the Simms Dry Creek Day Pack so I could use it when not floating. So far on day trips it has worked. Floating the Sandy Monday so I am sure it will get tested.

DH

1 - 10 of 10 Posts