Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I found a very nice reel. Thanks to all who assisted in my search.

I bought a Foster Bros 4" salmon reel out of the UK. It is a very nice reel that looks very well made and should make a nice pair with the Sharpes rod.

Does anyone out there know any history behind the reel or where I could find some..search of the internet is negative

Here is a picture of it...kind of a cross between a St George/Perfect.

Does anyone have a Sharpes Scottie reel for sale....they look alot like a perfect. I am looking for either a 4" or 4 1/4".

I would also consider a Farlow in the same configuration.

I want to pair it up with a beautiful unfished Sharpes Scottie Spliced Cane Spey rod; a 12' 8/9 wt. I think it should make a sweet pair.

I was thrilled to acquire the rod , it is the late Mike Maxwell's rod, famed for his Tiger Eye series of spey rods and one of the pioneers if not THE man who brought Spey casting to British Columbia.

I have seen a few on EBay but would also like to ask the members here on this forum.

Thanks for the assist

Attachments

·
That Guy in PEI.....
1,945 Posts
Hi Paul.
Vinnie up in Juneau fishes the short spliced Sharpe rods and he may know of the reel as i think he uses one. I may be mistaken on this. I know SpeyHermit has a nice Aquarex 400 which was made for Sharpes by J W Young so maybe he could chime in with weight, etc on his reel. I personally wouldnt hesitate on buying one as most of these reels made by Young for the UK tackle firms are of a quality equal to Hardy. IMO
There was a time,, not too long ago when any perfect clone to come on ebay without markings was considered a Dingley. :chuckle: Willie has mentioned a good choice but in keeping with matching the outfit you shouldn't worry on the Sharpes purchase and if none are found with the members here then ebay has a few each month.
I have two scottie cane rod,, one is a 9' 6wt 2/1 and her big sister is a 9'6" #6 2/1. Beautiful to both cast and admire. Have you lined and cast your rod yet?
Good luck.
SC
Salmon Chaser

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Willie and Salmon

Yes a Dingley would do as well.

Salmon Chaser .

I am waiting for the rods arrival, I understand they are wonderfully powerful rods to cast, and that you cannot muscle them.....just a good hard stop is all that they require to launch a line.......love the look and feel of cane...so much so, I ended up buying an old East Coast tuna rod of hollow cane construction. I am going to knock the guides off of it, recork the grip area, put a nice butt box on it and make some nice thread whippings. Give it several good coats of spar varnish and use it for a wading staff. I think I will use one of the stripping guides up close to the cork and use that for the lanyard fastener.

·
That Guy in PEI.....
1,945 Posts
There is one on ebay at the moment that is perfect for you!!! PM SENT!!

·
Addicted and Avid
583 Posts
Aquarex 400

This is quite a hefty reel. Haven't fished it yet but will as soon as we get out of this damned blizzard.
See attached photos.

Turquoise Circle Emblem Fashion accessory

Technology Electronics Circle

Drain Reel Circle Plumbing fixture Rim

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do have all three series of Marquis Salmons' #1, #2 and a much coveted #3, and I know that one of the three would be a fine reel for the rod, but I think a Sharpes Scottie would be a pretty cool match up for it.

I will keep and open mind though.

Thanks for all the info so far, keep em coming.

Cheers

·
Registered
121 Posts
Scottie

Paul, I have both a Sharpes Scottie 3.75in (on left) or an Alex Martin 4in. Both are very similar in design and look. See attached.

Would you be interested in any of these?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Storlaks.

What are you asking for each of the reels?

Jumbo.....go ahead on either reel, I certainly don't have first right of refusal on either, thank you very much for asking though, very gentlemanly of you.

I am working on one from an auction house over in the UK right now, so we shall see what happens there first.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Still have a few irons in the fire over on this side of the water.

What do you want for the reel(s)?

Perhaps list a price on each of them.

Thanks
Paul

·
Registered
333 Posts
Re Farlow

Paul--Keith here.Have a 4 1/4 in x 1 1/4 " Farlow,true-unfiled 4 screw brass foot-95 plus % lead finish present.Mechanically sound.No etchings;repairs;cracks etc.Ivorine handle crazed but not cracked.No line marks.250.00 usd.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Keith

Can you send me a series of photo's please. Just send them to my home e-mail at.

pdj at shaw dot ca

A series of all sides and edges inside would be good too

Thanks Keith......

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks to all those who replied. Found a beauty of a reel....see the first post

·
Registered
37 Posts
Paul,

I have a mint condition 4" Sharpes Scottie. Very beautiful if heavy reel. Have not fished with it in 15 years and it's time it went to a good home where it will be used. The springs are still tight and provide a good drag (if so adjusted). Absolutely no loose play in the bearings and makes that marvellous sound. It comes loaded with a Masterline DT10 Sinktip which has lain unused on it. The reel is probably overgreased but I have left it so for preservation purposes. I own a number of Hardy Perfects, Walker Bamptons and Alex Martin Thistle all built on the Perfect bearing style. I would say the Sharpes' mecahanism is as good if not better than any of them.
Product Fishing reel Metal

Button

If you or any other member is interested then please get in touch. I have not been watching these reels on ebay and am not sure as to value so any clue would be appreciated. I live in Scotland so not sure of postage costs.

I used to own the Sharpes 12' spliced rod. Lovely action and I regret selling it all those years ago. Still have a Sharpes 88 trout rod but it hasn't seen the light of day in years as most of my time is spent salmon fishing. Cane has a life of its own and it's never really been replicated in carbon. Enjoy your new rod !

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hello Jim.

Thank you for the offer, but I have just bought a Foster Bros of Ashbourne. Wonderful reel ( see the first post for a pic if you like). Your reel is in VERY nice condition indeed. Having followed a few of them on E-Bay, I would think that you should fetch a fairly good price for it....the ones that I was following went for between 75 and 100 GBP Sterling.....yours may get more for its condition.

Thanks for the opinion on the rod, I can hardly wait to put a bend in it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts