Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Dom
3,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a reel to buy to balance my bigger rods. Must be disc drag and in perfect or near perfect condition. Thank you.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Abel #4

I have an Abel #4 I bought for a saltwater trip that never came to pass. It has a huge capacity, think it has 300 + yds of 30# backing on it. I put a full 650 rio skagit on it and had a lot of room to spare. I would let you have it for $300 if you are interested.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Just to confirm what fishinfool had to offer. I have two Abel #4 reels and they make great spey reels with plenty of capacity, a drag that will 'stop a sub' and a bullet proof design with the spool supported by ball bearings. The weight can vary a touch, depending on the amount of porting, but they are very comfortable on 13' spey rods. You will not regret buying an Abel #4.

Doug

·
Dom
3,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Abel is too light for my 14' 9 weight I'm looking to put on. Looking for a reel that is about 15oz. Particularly interested in 4.25" Saracione in all black. I found a few 4.25" in silver/black for $850 new but trying to see what else is out there. Anyone?

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
You must like heavy reels. I would reserve a 15oz reel for 16' rods. For my 14' 9wy (Meiser) i used a 13oz 4" pre-war Perfect.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts