Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey gang. Still searching for my unicorn. There have been rumors, and a confirmed sighting in Nor Cal. This is one of the last Thompson variants that I need to complete the lineup. I currently have a pair of Reels Inc. San Francisco Thompson 500s, a LHW San Fran 100, a regular ol' San Fran 100, the mythical Floyd T. Lovens San Jose-built Thompson "200", and the extremely rare Sierra King pre-patent reel. Hell, I even owned Ferd Claudio's reel for a while. But...

THIS is the reel I'm still searching for:

The Thompson Reel in 100 size, marked for Floyd T. Lovens, Inc., San Jose, Calif. The reel is bright aluminum, and may be found with either a bright spool, or leaded spool. Here are some photos: (used with the gracious permission of Mark Baker)

Now, I'd still be interested in another "200", or other rare variation. But this is the grail for me right now. You all have been great and helping me sniff out other Thompsons. Maybe you'll come across this one eventually.

Thanks gang, and tight lines.

Ryan
ryan.p.saboATgmail.com

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Shameless bump. Finder's premium if you get me together with a reel I end up owning. :)

R

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Another bump. Relentless, I am.

R

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Ryan,

Any idea on how many of the 100s were made? It's a beautiful reel. Good luck in your quest.

Preston

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ryan,

Any idea on how many of the 100s were made? It's a beautiful reel. Good luck in your quest.

Preston
The Thompson reels marked for Floyd T. Thompson, San Jose were the first Thompsons manufactured with the drag patent issued. That was issued in late November of 1939. So between the patent issue date and the start of WWII, there was approximately 2 years of production. Production numbers are thought to have been fairly low, though I'm not sure of any records that exist. Post WWII, the Reels Inc., San Francisco Thompsons appear - the more familiar "100" and "500" black reels.

Thanks for the well wishes. The search has been extremely fun. I'm not sure what I'll search for once I acquire one of these reels!

R

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Thanks for the well wishes. The search has been extremely fun. I'm not sure what I'll search for once I acquire one of these reels!

R
Oh com'on- that's easy. Leave the one you find with me for regular workouts, and pretend you never found it. Then look for another.:)

·
Registered
824 Posts
Ryan
i seen them pictures a few years back , and i'm sure it was from the turtle ,

your really looking for the holly grail in the thompson , it's always fun trying to find a reel you want , that reel will cost you , but hell it's only money hey , nice to have that reel sitting beside your others :smokin:

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh, if I find one it will be put into regular service. Then I'll stard on another quest.

Dutchie, yeah, Mark gave me permission to use those photos. The reel won't sit much, but I would like to find this one to get a family photo!

Thanks for the encouragement!

R

1 - 8 of 8 Posts