Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

Hoping someone out there has one of these rods in good condition collecting dust and would like to pass it on to a good home where it will get used a lot. Open to switch or shorter speys. Also open to complete outfits too.

I do understand that these rods can be quite different, but since I am new to spey casting, I figure that I will let the rod teach me how to cast it rather than the other way around. I just want a good rod and these all seem to have stellar reputations.

Cheers!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a Scott L2H 7wt that I will sell as a complete setup. Bauer McKenzie 6 line included. Mint condition. Let me know if you're interested.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Phil,
I'm mainly swinging for steelies on northern Cal coastal rivers like the Trinity, Eel, and Klamath. Summer, fall and winter. This will be my first two hander so I don't have any experience with grain weights, etc...just figured I'd have to do some experimenting to see what worked.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I fish those same rivers and a 12.5' 6wt is the perfect summer rod and handles most of the winter fishing too. For the winter run on the true coastal rivers, I use a shorter 8wt. I think a 7wt is the compromise but not the best tool for either.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Dive right in, but by all means do plenty of research before you invest heavily in the rods you've called out, the choices and combinations of rods, lines and heads (or integrated lines), and tips are vast considering the style of casting you want to learn and the quarry you seek. The forums on Spey pages have helped me immeasurably. As an example, I feel I started out way too heavy and too short when I first learned to DH cast, it led to a lot of frustration and wasted time. It was only after spending time researching here (and elsewhere) that I figured out what style/weight/length/tips I like to cast and feel confident fishing.

Take a field trip and head over to Kiene's or The Fly Shop and ask their staff what they recommend for those waters and how you'd want to fish them, they're always happy lend an opinion, you don't have to buy from them, but they be happy if you did...

·
Registered
844 Posts
Hi Phil,
I'm mainly swinging for steelies on northern Cal coastal rivers like the Trinity, Eel, and Klamath. Summer, fall and winter. This will be my first two hander so I don't have any experience with grain weights, etc...just figured I'd have to do some experimenting to see what worked.
I have never fished those rivers. So I'm not too sure of the size of the fish or flows on the river. My guess would be around 510 grains, If your heart is set on a 7 weight I would think about the Burki 7125-3. This would also leave open a slot for a 6 weight or lighter rod in the future. Everybody on this forum started wanting just one rod. On Monday call C. F. Burkheimer cfbflyrods.com they are a great bunch of guys. They can point you in the right direction. And If you want to go a little crazy Look at there Vintage and Presentation series, but it might make you drool. Those rods retain there value very well. Enjoy the ride and don't plan on catching too many fish quickly, the casting part of this sometimes takes a while to learn

·
Premium Member
3,576 Posts
If you can afford the burkie then go for it. I doubt you will have buyer's remorse, and if you do you will have no problem selling it. I fish the same rivers, and I settled on a Meiser MKS 7/8 for my first "good" learning rod, but a 6/7 would do just as well in N. Cal. This is another rod that kind of fits in the middle action wise, and can do everything well.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I certainly appreciate all the tips. I am considering a Meiser S series 1306 I've found for sale. The Meiser site states this rod will handle fish from 5 to 15 lbs which is right in the range of the vast majority of fish in this area other than those in late winter.

·
Premium Member
3,576 Posts
The S series will have a very different action. You should call Bob and get his advice first (or Steve Godshall if Bob is out). They are both way fun to talk to. You will ask them for X and will get back 3X without prompting - fantastic. That looks like a nice rod, and a bit of a savings off the new price, but maybe not the ideal rod to learn on. Get it from the horses mouth, and take anything I say with a grain of salt, but the S series is more of a fast (that word way oversimplifies), action rod. Not at all what one might call the "stereotype" of a rod to learn on - that is, one with a bit more relaxed, forgiving action where you will mostly be using shorter heads as you learn.

On the other hand, your idea of letting the rod teach you is a good one. It would be a fantastic rod anyway.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am reluctant to bother Mr. Meiser with my questions about purchasing a used rod....seems like bad form if I'm not buying new. I'm not new to swinging flies and have been casting a long time so I'm hoping the transition to two handers will be relatively painless, but ugh, there are so many choices out there!

·
Premium Member
3,576 Posts
I felt the same way at first, like I would be an ignorant wasting his time, but I was wrong. For one thing, if you need the mental crutch you can view it as giving him a chance to sell you a different rod. But he and steve like talking about this stuff, and I think they both understand that they are ideally trying to create long term relationships. Lastly, if you own any of their rods, and are happy, that is great advertising for them. And as you can see from perusing the threads on here, they have LOADS of repeat customers. They didn't get such a stellar rep JUST because of the fantastic rods. Go ahead and call! Just view it as taking out a loan from the great cosmic depository of spey knowledge. You can pay it back later in all kinds of ways.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
I am reluctant to bother Mr. Meiser with my questions about purchasing a used rod....seems like bad form if I'm not buying new. I'm not new to swinging flies and have been casting a long time so I'm hoping the transition to two handers will be relatively painless, but ugh, there are so many choices out there!
I'd been fly fishing for 30 years, swinging flies for 20, when I got an intro to speycasting 10 years ago. The guy that gave me the opportunity said something along the lines of, Most everybody likes there third spey rod. Call Bob Meiser or Kerry Burkheimer, and talk to them- about where you fish, what you like in a rod, and you'll like your first rod.

It was spot on advice. 10 years into this, my Meiser 6126 is still my favorite, and I have several really, really nice rods. It was great to learn with, and still casts and fishes as sweet today.

·
fly fisher 'til it's over
1,133 Posts
I've got one of Bob's S2H1265S-4 rods, and had about a 15 lb salmon on yesterday. No problems whatsoever. And you know what, both Bob and Steve are the easiest guys to talk to about their products. Neither one will try to strongarm you into buying - they simply want you to enjoy fishing. Give 'em a call.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So after talking with Bob, I wound up ordering a S2H12657C-4. Can't wait to get it! Thanks to all for the assistance, opinions, and help!

See you one the river...

·
Premium Member
3,576 Posts
So after talking with Bob, I wound up ordering a S2H12657C-4. Can't wait to get it! Thanks to all for the assistance, opinions, and help!

See you one the river...
I'm going to go out on a limb and predict in this case you will like your FIRST spey rod. :)

If you didn't already, do get Steve to make you a line for that rod. They don't cost any more than commercial lines and you will have the added security in knowing you have a perfectly matched line when you learn. He will even tell you exactly which tips to use, etc. You can get the whole issue of "right line?" out of the equation at the very beginning, when the issue is the most confusing.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Ha- awesome! Same rod I started with. A really sweet casting stick.

I like either a the Steve Godshall Scandit, a 420 Compact scandi, an Airflow 450 Compact Skagit, or lately I've been fishing a 450 RAGE. All equally sweet in their own ways.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts