Spey Pages banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My $10 Cabela's vise is not cutting it anymore (it served it's purpose though). I would like to buy quality made rotary vise in new or used condition. I am interested in something that can hold semi-large salmon/bass hooks securely and I rarely (if ever) tie hooks in the 20+ range. Being that it is my first rotary vise, I am not looking to spend a fortune. I have heard good things about the peak and renzetti traveler vises, but I am open to all other brands.

Feel free to PM me with anything you may have collecting dust.

Thanks for looking.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Consider a Griffin Spider vice, US made, compact and very sturdy. Holds all hook sizes with authority and nicely rotary $89.00 new on-line.

I have one and really enjoy using it, saw from positive reviews online that others did as well. Choosing mine, I did not want 'too much' vice, even from the same manufacturer.

Malcolm

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Consider a Griffin Spider vice, US made, compact and very sturdy. Holds all hook sizes with authority and nicely rotary $89.00 new on-line.

I have one and really enjoy using it, saw from positive reviews online that others did as well. Choosing mine, I did not want 'too much' vice, even from the same manufacturer.

Malcolm
Thanks for the heads up Malcolm. I have read a little bit about that vise, but it's always good to hear first hand reviews. I will check it out again.

·
OregonNoob
39 Posts
I have the griffin mongoose and love it!! I recently sent in my old jaws for my mongoose and their customer service is beyond top notch! Plus, made in America is always nice. I've never tied on the spider, but, I got mine from fly fish food for $185 which is the cheapest you'll find the mongoose. Comes with a nice case and some tools as well. So my two cents, get the mongoose, it's a little spendy but you'll never have to spendy money on a vise again.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
I had a Mongoose and would never recommend it to anyone ! For 2 bills you can get a Renzetti traveler. I've heard decent things about the Danica danvise as well.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had a Mongoose and would never recommend it to anyone ! For 2 bills you can get a Renzetti traveler. I've heard decent things about the Danica danvise as well.
I was able to look at both the Renzetti traveler and the peak vise today - both looked good, but I was especially impressed with the solid feel of the peak. Does anyone have an issue holding larger hooks with the Odyssey, Danvise, Renzetti traveler, or peak?

·
Banned
1,310 Posts
Try a basic Regal. Not technically "rotary" but close enough.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I was able to look at both the Renzetti traveler and the peak vise today - both looked good, but I was especially impressed with the solid feel of the peak. Does anyone have an issue holding larger hooks with the Odyssey, Danvise, Renzetti traveler, or peak?
Traveler is crap for bigger hooks in my experience, both myself and a friend have had them and there is no way I would buy another for the stuff that I tie.

·
Here to learn....
132 Posts
Buffalo Chrome,
I have an Anvil 'Atlas' full rotary vice with the original box, all paperwork, blue pedestal base, c-clamp, and a bobbin cradle. This has very minimal use, I'd be willing to let go for $115.00 shipped conus.

Here's a youtube video giving all the information about the vice

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone for the input and offers - it's great to hear everyone's experiences with different vises. I think I'm pretty set on the peak vise because it just felt right in my hand. If no one has one laying around, I will just buck up and buy one brand new. Thanks again for the help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts