Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to figure out without a local shop that carries these which one balances a redington Chromer 6126 best when the rod is 6.2oz.

The 7/8 model is 7.5oz
The 9/10 model is 10.2oz

Will a 7/8 even hold decent backing and a 350gr-450gr head?

If you've got answers or experience or one to sell, I'm all ears!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Reddington 6126

I'm sure there is someone on the pages with this rod reel combo that can give you the info you're looking for.

An easy way to figure this out if you have the rod in your possession, you can hang a ziploc bag off the reel seat with tape. Add pennies to it till it balances and you'll have a working number for the reel.

·
Spey Is The Way
950 Posts
I am also thinking of trying a Behemoth for a 13' 7" rod. I called Redington and discussed it with them. It was suggested that the 9/10 would be best for my rod. I would call them. 1-855-378-9420
BTW the 9/10 is 10.8 oz.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the 9/10 loaded with a 425 short, and it balances out my CPX 7wt perfectly. I dont know if the smaller reel would hold all the line and backing. Mine is pretty tight.

·
Spey Is The Way
950 Posts
Hi Tundra, could you give us some more details? How much backing, 20 or 30 lb? What running line? How long is your rod? Thanks for any info. Just trying to get some real data before a purchase.

Thanks, Leo.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did reach out to Redington and they counselled the 7/8 for a 6126 Chromer 6wt Spey. Still sounds really tight but it would be nice to pair the brands.

Until I come across some to test with, I found among my reels a 3.5HD Lamson Remix in black that is already spooled with gripshooter and a 300gr commando so I'll try that out on the Chromer this week.

Still open to offers on a 9/10 though

·
Registered
357 Posts
I have a 9/10 loaded with 100 yds of 30# backing and 30# ridge. It fits a 510 Skagit switch nicely. I use it on a E3 7130 and it balances fine. I think the 7/8 would be too small capacity wise unless you are willing to with gsp or 20# backing and a less bulky running line. I had the 6126 and I put an echo Ion 7/9 (7.9 oz) and it balanced the chromer well. I still think you would be looking for the 9/10 as the 7/8 barely has enough room for 100 yds of 30# backing and an 8 weight indicator taper.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts