Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have another thread going on disc drag reels and I'm beginning to like the look/durability of these reels. I know they are a bit on the heavy side but I like the fact that they have an outgoing click and are seemingly indestructible. Would go on 11' switch. Anyone comments? Would love to entertain an offer. Thanks!

BFR

·
Administrator
2,449 Posts
The big auction site has a couple nice examples with buy it now's. Owned a gold 2.5 for SW fishing years ago...very nice reel that was built like a tank.

·
Banned
1,310 Posts
If you want durable, as in drop-them-in-the-sand-dunk-them-in-the-salt-durable, it's a great buy. As far as smoothness, probably the clunkiest reel I've owned. I wasn't a big fan of the all-gold look either. Landed some big fish, though!

·
Registered
338 Posts
I'd also look at the Lamson Saltwater Series from a couple decades back. The "Bonefish" size is 3 3/4 and is a great switch reel. Lots of noise incoming and outgoing. Super reliable cork drag. Archuleta can work on it and it balances 11 ft switch rods very well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a couple 1.5 Penn Internationals. Over the past 20 years I've caught hundreds of coho and rockfish on them as they were my primary reels on my 6wt boat rods. Since they are a PITA to change spools, I had one rigged with a floating line and the other with a sinking line. I'm hard on my boat gear and they've taken a beating over that time without any functional issues. They are just so....mechanical. I've always loved that about them and the sound too. I disagree about them being clunky. When maintained properly they are very smooth reels. Love the gold too, paired with a Sage SLT - that's a sweet looking and performing set-up! That noted, galvanic corrosion can be an issue with these reels and it seems that the reel seats are of a softer alloy than the the reel frames/spools, as over the years I've replaced them on both reels. The drags can be mercurial too. Penn used two different drag knob designs on these reels and if you can find one with the white nylon washer it will be much less temperamental. Last year I swapped out my old Penns for a couple new Islanders with cork drags for less maintenance, but I don't think I'll ever get rid of them. Too many fond memories.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting. Had no idea these reels even existed! Will research.

BFR

1 - 7 of 7 Posts