Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All, I sadly lost my standard sized Matarelli whip finisher when moving and I really miss how well it works. It doesn't have to be sparkling new, just in perfect working condition. Willing to pay a generous price.

Many thanks,
Russ K.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks 123psb, I guess I'm hoping against hope to find someone who has a spare Matarelli whip finisher that they would be willing to sell for their price.

·
Registered
299 Posts
lve tried to find a replacement for mine everywhere. something that good should be on the market somewhere by another manufacturer, but .alas, not so apparently.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Matarelli whip finisher

lve tried to find a replacement for mine everywhere. something that good should be on the market somewhere by another manufacturer, but .alas, not so apparently.
I agree with you completely Bee. Part of the problem is trademark law and infringement if a new company can produce an exact copy of Mr. Matarelli's great whip finishers.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Whip tool

Just curious, but what is the difference in a mattarelli vs say a similar Dr. Slick product?

·
Registered
299 Posts
thread tension and releases on Matterilli is controlled by a spring holder which provides a tight finish and easy release whereas most others l've seen are stationary thread releases which are not as easy for me to use and achieve tight whip finishes. I suggest if you find pictures of the Matterelli you can see the differences.

·
Registered
299 Posts
ST-no, l m not picture posting savvy, but that is not the model i used. The tension spring broke on mine, so a picture would be an incomplete description even if l could post it.

·
FISHIN' FREELANCER
1,425 Posts
I've only ever noted original Materelli version as same or similar to the example sinktip posted. Not to say there were no others, I guess if you know what you had then that's what you had.

"Spring" variety are what I use and am familiar with. My original Griffith is still going strong.. similar to the Petitjean. I do like the variable amount of tension you can apply with ease.

·
Registered
299 Posts
The older matterelli that l was describing is very similar if not identical to the pettijean , as posted by Shotgunner. Mine was over 50 years old when the spring broke. Who would ever think you could wear out a whip finisher? Thanks for all the replies. Guess it was somewhat hijacked, but at least you know what the old matterelli fan cub is looking for.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes Whiskey Dick, that is a picture of Frank Matarelli's standard whip finisher on the left and the extended reach wf on the right. Mr. Matarelli quit making his tying tools when he was about 90 years old, and his 70 year old son manufactured the very popular whip finishers for a short while only.
I clicked on the buy now hyperlink and it states that the product is no longer available. Thanks a lot for looking.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Check with Blue Ribbon Flies in West Yellowstone, MT; they've had Matarelli whip finishers in the past. Easiest to call them. Their website might not have all available items.

ETA Their number : (406)646-7642

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Prometheus,
I will call Craig Mathews and see if he has a standard Matarelli whip finisher that he would be willing to part with.

Russ K.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Prometheus,
Blue Ribbon Flies in West Yellowstone has the extended - reach whip finisher, but not the standard size. They said it's very unlikely that the Matarelli's will resume production.

Thanks for all your help guys,
Russ K.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I know how it feels. I love my Martinelli whip finisher. Unfortunate I only have one. Wasatch custom tools make some nice tools and their whip finisher looks very nice. Another option if you can not find one.
Mike

·
Registered
407 Posts
I just checked Michael and Young fly shop in Canada and they Martinelli whip finishers list on their online shop. They will ship to USA also.
Worth a check. Mike

1 - 20 of 24 Posts