Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
There are two different styles of Danielsson Hi Tec reels;

The nicest one of the 2 types comes in 5 sizes, 1 through 5 (5 is largest); these are the hubless reels, with a rim-ring drag adjustment. I don't have the size 2, but have size 3 & 4. They are usually in metallic mid-dark blue, although I think they have been occasionally available in black, but no other colours as far as I have seen. They can be picked up, rarely though, for around $800-$1000 (in good/excellent condition). The big issue with these models is the very complicated engineering for the drag mechanism, and it really needs an expert to adjust the range settings of the drag, and it recommended to send them back to Danielsson for this.

The other type is not a hubless design, and has a tab-slide drag adjustment on the rim; I do know they came in several sizes, again as a number; the one I had, and sold again, was the seatrout model, but the drag was poor, despite adjustment. They came in black.

Mike

·
Registered
278 Posts
Agree with Mike on most everything except on the slide deficiency part. Never encountered a problem.
Changing either reel from L to R should only be performed by someone like Archuleta's Reel Works or similar. They are loaded with an unbelievable number of bearings that are easily lost. I know Bill opens them in a bag to prevent this. One lost bearing and you are out of business. I don't know if they readily are available either.
This web info/prices have been around a very long time and are not representative of today's prices.
Early ones were black and had the numbered slide bar/drag on the rim, whereas the later ones were dark blue with the entire rim for drag adjustment and reels numbered 1-5.

http://flyfishingnetwork.com/FlyBuy/FlyBuyLoop.html

·
Recently Spey'd
816 Posts
I'll throw in my two cents.
I believe there were three versions.
Version one had the slide drag tab on the bottom of the frame.

Version two which I have in Salmon size is similar to the most recent models but in black.

Version three is the gunmetal blue colour.
You can see them in the link fishdontcare added.
Versions two and three have a large ring on the back side of the reel as the drag knob or ring adjuster.
They are all hubless designs from my understanding.
I have had all three versions.
Fishdontcare is one of the buyers of five hitec reels I had in versions one and three. :cool::cool::cool:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Iam looking for the Version three is the gunmetal blue colour. The last of Hi-tec models :)
Best René

1 - 6 of 6 Posts