Spey Pages banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a Loomis 14' 8/9 wt Blank. Loomis still sells the rod, but won't sell me the blank. Any idea where I might find one? I tried mudhole and anglersworkshop.

·
Speyladdie
429 Posts
Loomis Blank

Hi Rob.
Just wondering,what you going to do with the blank? :confused:
Speyladdie. :lildevl:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You don't wanna know...

Hey Neil, good to hear from you.

I'm going to build a float rod for centerpinning winter runs on the Oly Pen in March. Welcome to the dark side! :saevilw:

I'll be fishing 2 handers most of the time, but want to have another option. I centerpinned a lot in the midwest this year and had a blast. Unfortunately, none of my midwest float rods are stout enough for those rivers or those fish.

·
Flyfishing Camp Cook
122 Posts
Rob, what kind of float rods do you have? If you have one that'll handle between 10-20# test (anywhere in there, not that exact range) you'll be good to go. One of my favorite float rods was a 6-15# test. I've put alot of big OP Nates to hand with that rod (still sits downstairs in fact hoping to head out this winter with my doctor's clearance). Email me, can help you out. May not need another rod. Why waste the money when you could use what you have (and buy the Mrs. something nice so she'll let you expand your trip a few more days). ;)

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
Got to ask. What is center pinning? Haven't heard of this before.

·
Registered
75 Posts
What About?

Hey Rob,
Good luck trying to find a 14' GL3 blank the last I saw was being sold about 2 years ago. Have you given any thought to the GL3 ST1622S blank? This is only 6 inches shorter(13'6''), moderate action and made specifically for float or center pinning. Shoot me a PM and I'll send a link.
Jimmy

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Rob,

A 14' blank from Meiser in the requisit 8/9 wt, or one of the ones from T&T (although T&T are admittedly faster and stiffer than the GL3), or Sage should provide you with what you are looking for. Then there are Talon, Lamiglas, Rainshadow (Bateson Enterprises), and St.Croix blanks in the same size and line wt that might also be worth a look.

·
Registered
75 Posts
My question is this why turn a 300-400 dollar two-handed blank into something that it was never intended to do? That is handle mono line with a center pin-reel and a float? I think you'd be better off buying a specific blank built for that application. Same goes for build a spinning rod on a fly blank or a fly rod on a float rod blank, they lose something in the process. Just my 2 cents.
Suprised nobody else in the Midwest has chimed in on this.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Found

Thanks for all the replies. I found a 14' GL3 blank shortly after I posted this. It was on closeout for about $125 US too!

The reason I wanted this specific blank is because it was recommended by someone that has used it for heavy float fishing before. To my knowledge there are no 13/14' float blanks out there rated for 8-12lb test. This is supposedly a good match for that application. I'll have to finish building it and find out myself I guess. Either way, it'll be cheaper than buying most float rods since the blank was on sale.

Thanks again everyone.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts