Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I am looking for the best line for my new rod. I am a newbie at this so any advice and help is awesome. THX

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'll be watching this thread with interest as I took advantage of the deathstar closeout as well! So far I'm considering an Airflo Rage 480 grain head, Airflo 30lb running line and polyleaders (I mostly use floating here).

Option #2 would be to give Steve Godshall a call and have a line custom made.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I have the TCX 7 & 8 wt switch rods, my 7 wt likes a 390 scandi compact and loves the 410!
For skagit 480 compact and also I use 480 skagit switch . I have recently tried Rio's I flight 425/450

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hi... I use Nextcast WA 35 #7/8 on 11'9 #7 TCX and WA 35 #8/9 on the 11'9" #8 TCX.

AWSOME combo.

Tommy Aarkvisla
Nextcast pro staff.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi mrocks,
You are going to like that rod. Will you be using it for spey casting or overhead? For myself I like to decide on which type of river that I'll be fishing. This will determine how much D loop that I can manage behind me. Little or no room behind, it will be easier to start with a Skagit short head (20-25 feet). If you can wade away from the bank then you can increase your head length and possibly consider a Scandi type head (around 30 feet or so). Next I like to factor in fly size. Big flies and sink tip, again better suited for Skagit lines. Smaller flies and polyleaders or mono, very easy casting on Scandi heads. I personally use Skagit heads on my 7119, although I'm considering a Scandi line soon. I have used Skagit Switch in 480, 450, and 420 grains. The rod will cast all of them, just adjust your stroke for each one. The 480 really loads the rod deep (go slow), while with the 420, I can generate a bit faster line speed. I would say the 450 grain in the middle is the best compromise. I recently started using a 425 Skagit Flight and right now it is my favorite line. I might have to try the 450 Flight. Not sure if this helped you. As you can see, this rod can cast a wide range of lines. Good luck in your search.
B13R

1 - 7 of 7 Posts