Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I recently picked up a Hardy Perfect 1912 reproduction. Its a gorgeous reel with the old styling, and its LHW! Now I'm seeing what all the hardy fuss is about. They feel and sound really good on a long rod...
I have tried to get used to RHW, but the fact is I'm better at LHW.
I would like to find LHW Hardys for the following 3 spey rods:
11'9 4wt
12'9" 6wt
13'3" 7wt

Just checking to see whats out there. PM me if you have something gathering dust that needs to go fishing.

All the best

Matt

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
That's a tall order and yet a pricey order! Good luck and I hope some reels come your way with that beautiful fish screamin sound!

·
Registered
579 Posts
Hey all,

I recently picked up a Hardy Perfect 1912 reproduction. Its a gorgeous reel with the old styling, and its LHW! Now I'm seeing what all the hardy fuss is about. They feel and sound really good on a long rod...
I have tried to get used to RHW, but the fact is I'm better at LHW.
I would like to find LHW Hardys for the following 3 spey rods:
11'9 4wt
12'9" 6wt
13'3" 7wt

Just checking to see whats out there. PM me if you have something gathering dust that needs to go fishing.

All the best

Matt
Matt IM in the same boat brother! The vintage Hardys are quite a bit more in LHW. U should get some PMs from a few of the guys. I did when I was searching. There's some nice reels out there just a big price tag to go with them. Good luck let me know how you make out.
Frank

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
For what it's worth, I grew up reeling right, so it's natural. Sort of. When I was a young guy and read Trey Combs book, it seemed pretty obvious it was essential to be good at reeling to be good at steelheading. So I sat around practicing. I would reel for practice while watching television (yeah, pre-VCR/DVD/Cable). But it worked, like practice with anything.

A few years ago I decided I needed to learn to reel left, so I bought a really nice lefty reel- a Loop Classic. I didn't practice anywhere near like I did as a kid, but it didn't take that long to get proficient. I still prefer right, but I can reel left now.

You could get three right hands for the cost of two lefties.

I think you want a 3 5/8 perfect for your 4, a Taupo for your 6, and a 3 3/4 for your 7.

·
FISHIN' FREELANCER
1,425 Posts
I didn't see anywhere you specified "vintage"? If that's the case, modern Perfect (and Bougle) reels are the ticket. Want a line guide.. they built them not all that long ago. Want one without.. they're more recent and easier to find.

·
Registered
688 Posts
They do make the new reels LHW. If its a reel made from modern alloy bar stock its going to be tougher than one of the old cast ones.

Seeing that your rods are short, you have a lot of options like just getting the Marquis series. Get a salmon 1 and a two, both are big enough to hold a line and plenty of backing. Or a St John mark 11. If your rods were over 14' then you would need something heavier enough to balance things out, but thats not the case here..the only real down fall reeling left is when you do find a nice old reel, one with a nice red agate line guard, you are pouched...

Or you can look at some of the contemporary reel makers...

·
Registered
997 Posts
PM sent your way sir.

James

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info guys.

I do prefer the vintage route, but understand there are not many LHW options out there for it. But there is something about fishing reels twice one's age.
I am open to RHW on the right reel with lots of character and mojo.

I am also open to more modern reels. I am looking to spend from 500 to 750 for the right reel, so maybe this gives some hints.

I currently have a Hardy MKVI 4" lightweight bougle on my 12'9" 6wt. I'd not mind a change here.
I have a 3 3/4" 1912 Perfect repro on the 7wt. and I'm happy there.
I want a second reel for 7wt use, but priority is on the 4wt.
I don't mind aesthetic flaws so long as the reel functions true.

best

Matt

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have located a couple gems in the last couple weeks, but I'm still looking for one or 2 more LHW reels w/ mojo.

Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts