Spey Pages banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone out there have any spare old Lamson LP drag pads? I'm looking for the ones that (I believe) Lamson came out with when they discovered the hydroplaning issue with the original (or maybe it was Archeluta that made them? - Either way, he doesn't have anymore 馃槣). I have three Lamson LP reels and I love them but I dread submerging them while fishing because of this problem. The attached photo shows the old one with the problem.

So, if you have any spares and can "spare" a few, let me know. I'd be forever in your debt!

Cheers,

Frank

Attachments

Premium Member
Someone once told me that as well - that he actually bought the entire stock off of those off of Lamson, so if anyone else has them them may have gotten them from Archuleta. Would be nice if there was a workable hack or substitution that could also be used. Personally, when I got the LP bug I was just glad someone could fix them. I figured I saved my money on the front end when I got them for a steal.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good luck.

If you have one that is already compromised, you might be able to get it fixed, b
Archuleta's Reel Works
https://www.archuletasreelworks.com

But he won't sell the parts. I think he bought out the remaining Lamson inventory.
Yes, I talked with Bill a few months ago. He ran out of the new concave brake pads that he had gotten from Lamson a while back. He said he didn't have any other solution but thought it might be a good idea to look into creating one. I'll send him another email and let you all know what the reply is.
In the meantime, if anyone has a few of these as spares and can part with one or two, that would be great.

Cheers and thanks for your consideration.

Frank

Registered
I have several of those reels, and have had him repair the one way bearing on one of them. Too pad to have to discard those reels because of a drag pad.

Reactions: frankvena

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have several of those reels, and have had him repair the one way bearing on one of them. Too pad to have to discard those reels because of a drag pad.
Yes, he's repaired the clutch on one of mine (so far) but no luck with the pad. The reels are still totally useable but you just can't get them wet - or, if you do, you have to spend some time drying them out before the next cast 馃憥馃徎.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Throwing this out there again with fingers crossed馃馃徎. Anyone got any of these to spare?

Premium Member
Throwing this out there again with fingers crossed馃馃徎. Anyone got any of these to spare?
I don鈥檛 know if it鈥檚 ever been tried, but I wonder if using some kind of wax as a surfactant on the metal plate would serve as a substitute - solve the problem by removing the water. This would make the plate shed the water more efficiently. A good coat should make it impossible for the water to stick. Maybe some on the flat pads as well? Maybe try a few coats of car wax as a first experiment. Easy to try, easily reversible. If you do, let us know the results.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don鈥檛 know if it鈥檚 ever been tried, but I wonder if using some kind of wax as a surfactant on the metal plate would serve as a substitute - solve the problem by removing the water. This would make the plate shed the water more efficiently. A good coat should make it impossible for the water to stick. Maybe some on the flat pads as well? Maybe try a few coats of car wax as a first experiment. Easy to try, easily reversible. If you do, let us know the results.
That鈥檚 a great idea! I鈥檒l give it a try and let you all know how/if it works. Thanks for the suggestion 馃槣

Premium Member
That鈥檚 a great idea! I鈥檒l give it a try and let you all know how/if it works. Thanks for the suggestion 馃槣
If it works there are a bunch of us that could use a workaround!

Premium Member
Just realized that 鈥渟urfactant鈥 is very much the the wrong word there. Anyway, this is a Hail Mary kind of idea. Hope it either works, or leads to a better idea!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts