Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello fellows im looking for a classic reel for a 6# 11ft switch rod. A st john or st aiden would work if anyone has either reel it will go to good home and kept in my family for a few generations.thanks

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
The Hardy St. George

Smaller than the St. John, it has probably better weight and capacity for a switch rod. And there's that neat round ceramic line guard. It otherwise looks like a St. John.

·
That Guy in PEI.....
1,945 Posts
The St george is a trout reel and it has neither the heft for an 11' rod or capacity for a spey/switch line. While we are talking switch rods and the short end of two handed rods,, we are still talking about an 11' rod! A tiny liitle St george would look silly:hihi:
A few of the lads on here use the St John on their shorter two handers and i haven't heard any complaints. Again, not alot of capacity which will limit the amount of backing and the line you can put on it.
I think I would look for a 3 1/2" WD Perfect. Lots of room for most any 6wt switch line and lots of ounces to balance that outfit.
The st Aiden is also a good choice as would be a Husky and their is a nice LHW Husky on the bay right now.
Hope you find what you are looking for.
Salmon Chaser

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the replys and for the thoughts on switch rods and reels this is new territory for me .I never gave the perfects much thought becuase they are so rare....

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Big enough

I used a St. George reel and extra spool for years on a 10-weight winter steelhead rod. They held WF10F/S lines and as I recall, around 175 yards of 20-lb. Micron. It was the 3.75" version, not the little "Baby" St. George intended for trout rods. The weight was probably around 7-8 ounces. I'd think it's plenty for shorter heads.

·
That Guy in PEI.....
1,945 Posts
Yep,, right on Mac,, the 3 3/4" would be fine. For some reason i was picturing the 3 3/8" or 3 1/2" trout reels. Still, personally i've never been much for narrow drums on a spey rod
Salmon Chaser

1 - 6 of 6 Posts