Spey Pages banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,
Since I have a son named Andrew who is starting to Speycast, I am looking for a Hardy St. Andrew reel - in fishing condition not collectors condition...

PM me here

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Answer

The St Andrew was made from 1962 - 69. In one size only. It was replaced by the Marquis No 2.
It was 4 1/8"

·
Registered
465 Posts
I didn't think it did. I asked because the original post (now edited) implied that it did.

I've got one and use it regularly. A great reel. No drag. No rim control. No revolving plate (a la Perfect). Just you and the fish. It's a lot of fun to use.

Keep your eyes on eBay. They come up but not too frequently. You might want to create a saved search so that ebay will email you when one comes up.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yep, i edited my post because i learned a bit from a Scottish tackle dealer....pretty excited to find one!

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
I have been after one myself. Just saw one go for $408.00 on ebay, in good condition. There was also one last week that went for $270.00 or so that was missing a pawl, a spring and was a bit beat up.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Ah, memories

My St. Andrew and a floating line, at Dutchman's Flats on the Deschutes, one early morning: my first two fly-caught steelhead in a frantic half-hour.

A click-and-pawl is not "no drag." It's enough drag, most times, but not every time.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Mack,
As you no doubt know, click-and-pawls are merely to prevent the line from backlashing and not to apply any significant resistance. So one can make the case that it's not really a drag per se but rather a means to prevent spool overrun. Indeed, Hardy refers to it as a "compensating check" while referring to their disc brake reels as having a drag.

Whatever it is, I was simply expounding the virtues of simple tackle like the St. Andrew. A reel that takes a wee bit more skill from it's user than the modern reels. They are truly fun to use.

Also, by saying "It's enough drag, most times, but not always" I presume you you meant it's enough without applying finger pressure, palming, etc. Disc drag reels are just not required for steelhead.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I have a Hardy St.Andrew and I am willing to sell it. It is located in Finland put paypal and posting it makes it rather simple. The Hardy I am selling is in working condition, nothing missing. Some scratches do exist on the reel. I buyed it for my first reel, but I am giving up the hobby so I dont need it anymore. My e-mail is [email protected], you can send your offer to there! Waiting for your reply! -Tuomas H.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
found one on ebay

already picked one up, thanks guys...

Now to find a Walter Dingley reel, because my other son is named Walter. 4 inch perfect or copy?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts