Spey Pages banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! I bought my first Hardy the other day, loaded it per Ed Ward's guide (i.e., 125 yards of Dacron 30#, 100 feet of Varivas Air and my Skagit head). I woke up the next morning and low and behold, the line was all exposed. Apparently there was a hairline crack in the spool that neither I nor the seller saw and the pressure from the backing and the running line cracked the spool!

I called Bill Archuleta and unfortunately because the pre-war spools are zinc, they can't be repaired.

As a result, I am in dire need to purchase a pre-war 3 7/8 narrow drum spool. I am certainly willing to pay a fair price if anyone has one laying around. Alternatively, if anyone has a good source who I can contact, it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Sorry to hear of your problem. Be careful that you don't spend good money after bad! You may find that spare vintage Hardy spools do not always fit other reels. I believe each reel was made individually. They didn't have CNC machines in those days. Try before buying!

TL
Richard

1 - 2 of 2 Posts