Spey Pages banner

WTB- Hardy JLH Salmon

2K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  kweetech 
#1 ·
Hey Folks,

Looking for a 4" Hardy JLH as the title suggests. I am in Canada so must be willing to ship there. As far as condition it must be in good working order, I am okay with nics and scratches; I plan on fishing it, not displaying it on a mantle.

Cheers!

#2 ·
Jlh

I saw a number of sites in England had them just last nite great reel ive fished mine since 97 or 98 put Hardy Jlh in google search bar and tnere are quite a few dealers that have them bnib for around $300 usd I am considering buying a set of 2 Golden Prince a 9/10 and an 11/12 Just a word of advice it makes a much better single hand reel than double because it is so light from bar stock alluminum good luck
Lee

#8 ·
I just measured one of my JLH #8/9s & it is 3.75" outside diameter.

They were intended for single handed rods for grilse & sea trout etc & are fine with switch rods in lighter ratings but probably won't have the capacity you need for a Spey rod.

The 4" salmon reel is rated a #10/11 & has plenty of capacity but is still a lightweight reel.

They also made a golden version which was a dark bronze colour instead of grey with brass features instead of silver, but is mechanically identical to the standard model.

Regards, Tyke.

#11 ·
If they are classed as the salmon size they will be 4" diameter - this is the #10/11 size.

The #8/9 wasn't classified as a salmon reel, I'm looking at mine now & it is engraved "Made by House of Hardy England" above the central click adjustment knob & "JLH Ultralite #8/9" below it. It doesn't mention salmon on the 8/9 size.

The #8/9 classification refers to single handed lines, you would definitely not fit a mid head #8/9 Spey line + backing on it. Make sure you buy the 4 inch version - which is also wider in relation to its' diameter & holds a lot more line.

Regards, Tyke.

#14 ·
I think I saw that one on UK eBay at £249.99.

If you do want an 8/9 there is another one being advertised with a spare spool at £149.99, which is only just over your $250.00 target.

I couldn't see any salmon models at the moment though.

Regards, Tyke.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.