Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Wild Steelhead Zealot
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents,
Looking for a Hardy 1912 Check - 4" or smaller. Alternatively, I'd like to track down a Chris Henshaw. Any leads on either would be greatly appreciated. I know this is a long shot, but wanted to put it out there.
Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Mark,
you may find that a new Henshaw is close to the price of a vintage perfect - £750 (1100 USD) the last I checked. did you send him a message? He's pretty easy to track down on clarks forum and goes by the handle "greenwell." I'll PM you his email, too.

best of luck with your search!

Brent

·
Wild Steelhead Zealot
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Brent,
Thanks very much. I received your Pm and and sent him a message. We'll see what happens.
Cheers,
Mark

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Brent,
Thanks very much. I received your Pm and and sent him a message. We'll see what happens.
Cheers,
Mark
Mark,
If you don't hear from him for some reason try him on clarks. He's always kindly responded to my pestering there!

nice guy, Chris.

Brent

·
Corvus Ossifragus
317 Posts
3 7/8" red agate 1912 Perfect

I have a red agate 3 7/8" Perfect with a 1912 check that I plan on selling soon. It is in great condition but it's a 'user' reel not a collectible for the following reasons:

1) Brand new Archuleta foot (cost $285). Previous owner filed the foot so much that it was unusable on any of my spey rods so I had Bill make a new one.

2) When I purchased the reel, the retaining screw head was broken off with the stud still in the spindle. When Arch got into the reel, he found that some previous owner had actually rethreaded the spindle to standard left-hand threading. My guess is that some later person did not know this and tried to turn the screw in the normal Hardy/British right hand direction and broke off the head. Arch cleaned it up and fabricated a new screw but it's still threaded opposite from normal.

3) There are a couple hairline cracks in the agate but they appear completely stable at this point.

Otherwise, it is a rock solid, amazing looking reel. It has a very strong check and line capacity suitable for summer-run steelhead.

I would like to sell the reel for $950 shipped in the CONUS. If you are interested, let me know and we can talk. I'm headed out of town for a few days tomorrow. I plan to list it on eBay late next week but would be happy to strike a deal with a form member instead.

·
Wild Steelhead Zealot
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thomas,
Thanks very much for sending along the pictures and the offer. It's tempting, but I'm really gunning for a wide drum salmon reel.
All the best,
Mark

1 - 6 of 6 Posts