Spey Pages banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On the weekend I worked a run and got my pocket picked so bad by my fishing partner, that I was worried I could pay for gas to get home. After fighting off sheer depression, the odd tantrum and grinding my teeth so hard I may have cracked a molar, I realized that my fly was not not getting down enough. I tried my full intermediate line and it consistently wrapped every boulder in the pool, so I did some research and it looks like the Guideline Triple D, may be the ticket. I am looking for the 8/9 which I will have to cut down to a 7/8 in the Float/intermediate/sink2 or Hover/Sink1/Sink3.

I need to be able to get down around 3-4 feet without the rest of the line wrapping the boulders I am fishing through. I am also open to any other thoughts for a line.

Thanks
Brayden

·
Registered
823 Posts
I think your on the right path; density compensated lines can get the tip down a little lower than the back end, preventing this. For bigger water where you can set up for this and runs are gradual and tapered and sloping its great; thats what im learning.

But maybe If the water you want to work is smaller or more pockety and the fish lies more abrupt, then a floating skagit belly with MOW tips might be easier.

Sorry don't have any 8/9's of them but I have 9/10s triple Dand I use them in narrow long trenches where the top currents are really powerful (in the discharge of a dam) and oh holy cow do those things get down.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
The area Brayden is describing is a wide and long 4-5' deep run with some distinct boulders and odd shoal.

While a Skagit and MOW tip would work it's generally overkill for this river as most of the other runs are shallow and wide open. Both of us are trying to get away from Skagit heads as we find Scandi and spey lines much more enjoyable to cast.

The look on his face when I hooked numerous fish swinging behind him was priceless....:chuckle:

Preston

I think your on the right path; density compensated lines can get the tip down a little lower than the back end, preventing this. For bigger water where you can set up for this and runs are gradual and tapered and sloping its great; thats what im learning.

But maybe If the water you want to work is smaller or more pockety and the fish lies more abrupt, then a floating skagit belly with MOW tips might be easier.

Sorry don't have any 8/9's of them but I have 9/10s triple Dand I use them in narrow long trenches where the top currents are really powerful (in the discharge of a dam) and oh holy cow do those things get down.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Preston, for the reminder of the weekend. I am glad you enjoyed my controlled rage. One day I will out fish you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
3d

I've got one and believe me, it's worth it's weight in gold. Not willing to give mine up. But, I can tell you that Bob at Great Lakes Spey Shop (one of the sites sponsors) can hook you up with one if you don't find someone willing to part with theirs.

·
Registered
127 Posts
On the weekend I worked a run and got my pocket picked so bad by my fishing partner, that I was worried I could pay for gas to get home. After fighting off sheer depression, the odd tantrum and grinding my teeth so hard I may have cracked a molar, I realized that my fly was not not getting down enough. I tried my full intermediate line and it consistently wrapped every boulder in the pool, so I did some research and it looks like the Guideline Triple D, may be the ticket. I am looking for the 8/9 which I will have to cut down to a 7/8 in the Float/intermediate/sink2 or Hover/Sink1/Sink3.

I need to be able to get down around 3-4 feet without the rest of the line wrapping the boulders I am fishing through. I am also open to any other thoughts for a line.

Thanks
Brayden

Brayden, if you want I can have a little look around for a used one here.

·
Registered
254 Posts

Thanks
Brayden
What line and setup was your fishing partner using ?

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Raph, that would be fantastic if you have one kicking around.

Paddymc, My partner had some Rio Type 6 on his tip, and I have a super fast sinking Poly. Our best guess was that he was getting maybe 4-8 inches deeper then I was. That amount would not matter in warmer water conditions but the water was in the mid 30's, so the fish would not move that much.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have recently bought one of these heads in H/I/S3 but with the season being closed it will be next April before I get the chance to fish it.

Have heard good reports from others though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts