Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to see if anyone has any info on a 7 wt rod for the lady friend.

Finally found a good one to settle down with and am slowly but surely getting her into the fish game up here in AK. Paid for her to get a casting lesson for some basics and she is all signed up with Pudge Kleinkauf for a woman's only casting class and lesson.

Got our first big trip to the Goodnews River all booked up and am hopeful she will continue to be excited about learning the new sport.

That all leads to my question. Thus far she is wadered and booted up got a pair of nippers and some hemos but we haven't pulled the trigger on a rod/reel yet.

Her issue so far is that she has small hands and most of the stock grips have been tiring to hold and she has a hard time getting proper flex gripping a big ol' piece of cork.

Wondering if anyone out there has anything to sell or any insight on good rods for the short in stature. I'm looking for a 7wt setup to cover most of her bases up here for trout, steelhead and 4/5 salmon species. Looking for a reel as well so hit me up if you have anything laying around. Doesn't have to be a platinum plated Abel but also not looking for the Pflueger gold medal wal mart special.

Thanks for any insight,

Armo

·
Administrator
2,449 Posts
Treat her right and give Bob Meiser a call and he'll get you lined out with a rod meant just for her. Steve Godshall is also there and he has done some amazing regrip and cork work for me if you already have a rod. His turn around time is incredible...literally a couple days and could be the ticket if you are short on time.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Wait Wait Wait

LOL

Not knocking what has been said,,

However Plenty of time for the Cadillac's, look used or near new and be creative

She may come not to like fishing or in reality you for that matter(sorry could not resist) meant to be funny tongue and cheek

Treat her right and give Bob Meiser a call and he'll get you lined out with a rod meant just for her. Steve Godshall is also there and he has done some amazing regrip and cork work for me if you already have a rod. His turn around time is incredible...literally a couple days and could be the ticket if you are short on time.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Hi Armo,

Noticed your interesting inquiry and have been sensitive to cork diameters myself. My wife and daughter also have tiny hands and I got her to try a switch rod I'm now selling for that express reason. The grips are thinner than most and the rod is very nimble to the touch. My wife ended up preferring to play with a Tenkara rod because, well, she's a little over-simplistic, and she doesn't want to learn spey casting or even single hand casting, so this setup needs a new home.
I prefer bigger rods, so I have this kit for sale and it won't break the bank but get her up and running. And there's an extra tip which is great for beginners!

http://www.speypages.com/speyclave/92-spey-classifieds/262609-rugged-creek-classic-113-7-8-switch-steelhead-special-setup.html

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
The difficulty is not really in getting someone to make the mods. I think the hard part is to know what mods to make. My suggestion is to use a cheap single-hander and slowly sand down the grip until it has the shape and diameter she likes the best. If a double handed then the diameter is all you need to adjust, and it is not too important. If you screw up somehow (will not happen if you go slow) then you can also get the handle replaced for minor ducats. Do a little at a time, and get her to try it out. Once you know what she likes, and what helps her to feel the most comfortable casting, then you can consider getting a "nice" one made, but probably you will be done. I heard all you guys from Alaska can skin Moose and build log cabins by hand so this should be a real snap. I also predict you will receive major boyfriend points if you do this for her!

I have some injuries from a while back (fingers that don't bend) that make single hand casting with my right hand difficult/tiring, and I have experimented with grip shaping. For what it is worth I also have smaller hands. You should be able to do this mostly with sandpaper of various grades wrapped around a wooden dowel or something similar if needed. You can even add stuff BACK while working on this with wood putty. I have even glued extra cork on my prototypes, but there is, for most people, no reason to go to these extremes. Just gradually reduce the diameter.

Here is a pic of one of my "prototypes". Made a huge different in how comfortable the grip was for me. But really for most people it would be way simpler. I got Steve to make me a fatter grip, on a marginally nicer rod, that I then shaped thinking that would be the final "nice" one, but I still like the prototype's feel better. Go figure. Guess I need to keep sanding on that one. The one thing I think the average person might like is the thumb curve/brace and the support under the thumb, but for people whose fingers bend normally the rest would be pretty pointless - probably.

Attachments

·
Registered
143 Posts
I turned down some grips for my kids, I've done it both on a lathe and just by hand with sand paper. I actually prefer it by hand, just go slow and keep turning the grip to keep it equal. Corks sands down really fast and you don't need to take much off. Another issue is that most factory grips are too long in my opinion.

·
Recreational User
214 Posts
Winston BIIx grips are probably the smallest production handles out there. The single hand grips are occasionally uncomfortable for those of us with slightly larger than normal hands.

Some companies offer women's rods with smaller grips (Scott A4W comes to mind), and I bet if you called Jim and asked him for an A4 in a 7wt with the smaller grip, he would be happy to make it for you.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Once you settle on the right length and wt rod, you can always have someone turn the grip down to her liking, for very few $$.
I also have smallish hands and had Bob M do this for me on my rods. Grip now fits like a glove. Put them in his handle lath, a strip of sand paper as it spins and 'Bob's your Uncle' as the Brit's would say.

Whole thing took just a couple of minutes. Anyone whose a rod builder should have similar equipment for turning cork handles.

fae

·
Administrator
2,449 Posts
I was thinking two hand search...disregard my above rec's. I'd do as many have suggested and find a single hander and go to work with the sandpaper. You'll have control of the final diameter. Concrete Angler's combo looks like a good set up and may be best of both worlds.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I know someone already mentioned the Biix by Winston but I wanted to shed some further light on that.

They had a Joan Wulff Edition of the Biix that sold with a smaller grip than normal. My fiance has one in an 8 weight for PNW steelhead and when she isn't looking I will steal it. It is a great rod. If you can get your hands on it, I highly recommend that rod.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Not sure what kind of $ you want to spend but I believe many rod manufacturers will turn grips to specified dimensions. I know Thomas & Thomas is currently making thinner grips or will turn them to your specifications. Tell them what you want and they will make it so.

CT

·
Registered
221 Posts
TFO Deer creek have small dia handles nice sticks in all configurations. Great rods for beginners or folks like me who never will be casting 150'

Grant

·
Registered
451 Posts
Something that should be added...... Sanding factory grips will quickly show you the quality of cork used in the build and also VOID any warranty that might be on the rod.

TFO & Echo make a smaller grip. Any chance you are around a shop? Nothing like walking in and spending some $$$ to help out the locals

·
Registered
214 Posts
I'd find someone who can turn down the grip. Then I would buy a good used rod and have the grip turned down. You'll get a good price, a good rod and you won't have to worry about voiding any warranties. If it's from a good manufacturer, they're usually pretty cool about the modifications. Just a note of warning. When I turn my grips, they feel good until I start fishing them. I always have to re-turn the grips and fish them until I find something that feels good.
Tight lines,
Keith

1 - 20 of 20 Posts