Spey Pages banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for flats fishing pants, something similar to Patagonia Men's Guidewater, or Tropical Pants in size L (36-38). I'm unable to find anything in my area, so thought I'd check to see what might be available here. Can be with or w/o zip off pant legs.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I don't have any for you, but would like to share what I have learned about flats fishing pants and what I don't like about some of them.

It is nice to have pockets for sunscreen and a water bottle, sun gloves, etc. You do NOT want a wide leg at the ankle because it makes a lot of noise while wading. You want the ankle to be fairly tight fitting if you can find that. The Patagonia pants are good this way, but a lot of the zip-off leg pants have a lot of fabric around the ankles and it makes you a lot noisier when wading.

Good Luck!
Ted

·
Registered
333 Posts
I'm looking for flats fishing pants, something similar to Patagonia Men's Guidewater, or Tropical Pants in size L (36-38). I'm unable to find anything in my area, so thought I'd check to see what might be available here. Can be with or w/o zip off pant legs.
Check Cabela's-I used to buy the expensive brands but the cabelas have everything at approx. 1/2 price-

·
Registered
98 Posts
I wore Simms on the Yukatan. they have snaps on the ankles to tighten them up. Helped with coral not getting in your boots. Cost about $60

Then I saw a similar type of zippered cargo at Walmarts for $24. I use those ones just as much wading around in the summer time

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
IMHO - the zip-offs are over-rated. By the time I remove my boots to get the zipped-off legs off I could just change into shorts. As long as the sun is beating you need the coverage, and in the evening those tropical mosquitoes love bare white winter flesh. Ultra-fast drying sun protection and comfort are more important as I see it. I've tried many brands and designs and hands down the Patagonia pants are my favorites. Two side pockets, back pocket zippered, dries super fast.

Just as important are fast-drying underwear and well-designed socks to maximize the performance of your flats boots. The socks act as cushioning and debris blockers, I fold mine once over the top of the high tops.

After a hard day of walking the marls, I remove the boots and walk right into the shower with the flats shirt, pants, underwear and socks on. Give them a good rinse before/as you shower and hang them to dry for a fresh start to the next day of fishing.

Then it's time for rum and a cigar :)

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
IMHO - the zip-offs are over-rated. By the time I remove my boots to get the zipped-off legs off I could just change into shorts. As long as the sun is beating you need the coverage, and in the evening those tropical mosquitoes love bare white winter flesh. Ultra-fast drying sun protection and comfort are more important as I see it. I've tried many brands and designs and hands down the Patagonia pants are my favorites. Two side pockets, back pocket zippered, dries super fast.

Just as important are fast-drying underwear and well-designed socks to maximize the performance of your flats boots. The socks act as cushioning and debris blockers, I fold mine once over the top of the high tops.

After a hard day of walking the marls, I remove the boots and walk right into the shower with the flats shirt, pants, underwear and socks on. Give them a good rinse before/as you shower and hang them to dry for a fresh start to the next day of fishing.

Then it's time for rum and a cigar :)
Great advice...especially the last part !!

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
My favorite is Barrilito 3 star, Puerto Rican. Too good to mix, unless you do a splash of ginger ale and lime (local favorite in Culebra).

You don't need a lot of gear for bonefish but it all needs to be good. The hat should have a large brim and breathable fabric with a dark underside to the brim. Ideally you'd have flaps but when windy you still need a buf. The buf should be breathable as well of course, or it will be stuffy; and it needs to integrate with the collar of the shirt - which is among the most important things you wear.

The material must be very light and breathable while providing sun protection. Short sleeve flats shirts are useless. I always go with either light sky blue or white to reflect light and reduce contrast for spooky fish. Bones have eyes that can see straight up and are spooky as heck. Most important is the collar... you have to be able to flip it up and button it in place to protect your neck. Most shirt makers just don't get this - they think a flats shirt is a fashion statement. I prefer Ex-officio but the material is susceptible to staining from sun block which is yet another critical pc of equipment. Recently I've been using the Patagonia "sun hoody" which is a light hooded long sleeve shirt, but could only find the light blue as all the whites were sold out. It only has one pocket but it provides much more sun protection than a regular flats shirt.

If the sunblock runs into your eyes from sweating, dissolves and stops protecting, or drives fish away from it's obnoxious scent then it's useless. I bring the Neutrogena ultimate sport 70+ but it does sting the eyes if you get it in them. Otherwise it performs well.

I like the Simms fingerless flats gloves for hand protection, but my hands have sunspots on them from many days without gloves on Cape Cod flats as well as tropical.

Carrying gear brings up discussions of chest packs and lanyards, another topic. Then you get to the pants discussion above...

·
Registered
242 Posts
I wore Reddington quick dry pants I got from Siera Trading post at a good price. Nice pants. One thing I found was that with all the fabric flowing around my ankles it would end up on the top of my boots. Kind of annoying. Let's debris in. So I tied mine down with an old pair of shoe laces. No more issue. It would be a good idea for a company to design some pants that one could sinch down to prevent this problem while flats fishing. ExOfficio quick dry boxers = awesome.

SL2

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Excellent info Juro and SL2,

A friend showed me how to cinch the pant hem down over the boot tops using elastic bandage and clips, o/wise allows sand in the boots.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm looking for flats fishing pants, something similar to Patagonia Men's tropical pants, or Columbia Silver Ridge convertible pants in size 38w 34 leg.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Check your pm's.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts