Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Gang.

Not spey related, but this forum has a huge number of west coast fly fishers, so thought I might have luck asking here...

Looking for a trout-sized (that does not necessarily mean short) hollowbuilt EC Powell to round out the two 'C' steelhead rods I own. 'A' or 'B' taper. EC-built preferred, but Maslan considered.

Also... searching for an EC-built 'companion butt'. If you're not sure what this is... If you have a tube with only an EC Powell fly rod butt in it, I want it. Heh. EC and later, more famously, Walt Powell built second rod butts to make, say, a 9' 5wt into an 8' 5wt. Nifty, eh?

Email at ryan.p.saboATgmail.com

And, of course, if you happen to have a Floyd T. Lovens Thompson 100 stashed away... I'm your huckleberry.

Thanks gang,
Ryan

·
Registered
423 Posts
A great Rod by a great Family

I do not have a cane rod by EC Powell, I have a Walton Powell Hexagraph trout rod..its become my favorite small stream rod. I wish you good luck on finding a good EC at a good price..probably alot of rods in folk's closets
seems theres alot of guys who just buy great rods that should be fished an loved, in hopes of speculating an thinking they are gonna become a millionaire.
I'd love to get a EC or even a Walton bamboo.
I think im better off just getting a Bob Clay Riverwatch.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From what I understand, there's a lot of EC's methods and philosophy in Bob's work. And while there probably are a ton of rods stashed in closets, I really hope it's not because someone think's they're gonna get rich on granddad's old bamboo rod! The true value in these old rods is taking them to the river to be fished.

R

·
Registered
423 Posts

Ryan,
I agree but i know a few guys that have literally 70-100 great old bamboo fly rods from the great makers sittin in gun cabinets and humidor closets..never even been cast ,let alone fished.
Edwin C Powell got the patent for hollowing a bamboo fly rod in 1933, But Lew Stoner is credited with another method known as fluting to make hollow built rods, Robert Winther and Lew Stoner stated Winston rods.The name being created by combining the first three letters of Winther's last name an adding the first four letters of Stoner's.
If i had my druther's an the money to buy older boo, EC Powell ,Walton Powell,and the Winther/Stoner winston hollow builtys rods would be what i would be after.
Ryan please post the rod if you come up with one i'd love to see one.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will do. If I get time next week, I'll take some photos of the two EC Powell steelhead rods I own. Just great casting and fishing rods.

R

1 - 5 of 5 Posts