Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm looking for a small boat trailer. Preferably one with a rear roller like a drift boat trailer. But I can modify a trailer if needed. I recently bought a 12ft pram for use on great lakes rivers and its just to heavy to be loading in the back of a truck. I'm located on the Northcoast (lake Erie). Rob

Attachments

·
slipped away to grey...
739 Posts
You may contact StealthCraft Boats and see what Mike has, sometimes he has some used stuff around for cheap...

Cool boat

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just an idea

A covered snowmobile trailer ( aluminum camper shell style) would work slick if the motor was figured in the dimensions you gave. Trailer flips for unloading and you can modify trailer cover to winch back up on the trailer. That way the boat would be protected from rain and snow. Which the GL areas get both in the month on January these days!

·
fly fisher 'til it's over
1,165 Posts
Whatever you do in terms of used trailers, make sure there are holes drilled in the lower side, especially if the trailer was used in salt. You want any and all water to drain, and even the slightest break in welding can allow water to creep in.

Check for corrosion, again, especially on the underside where it can't be easily seen.

Been burned once, but never again.

Happy hunting!

Bob

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I see Baker trailers out in Oregon makes an actual pram trailer. But buying new and having it shipped would probably be cost prohibitive. Rob

·
slipped away to grey...
739 Posts
I see Baker trailers out in Oregon makes an actual pram trailer. But buying new and having it shipped would probably be cost prohibitive. Rob
If you are willing to consider new trailers, Mike @ StealthCraft can get you one specifically for a pram as well.

Depending on how much you want to spend you could have your choice of galvanized, aluminum or steel coated with truck bed liner...

Be much closer than Oregon, delivery would also be possible if there was a boat being delivered out that way already "which is not uncommon" or you could use it as an excuse to visit Michigan and go fishing...

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll give him a call. I spend a lot of time in Michigan. I just bought property on the Muskegon and plans are in the works for building a home there. Thanks Rob

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well its looking like I will be getting out the cutting torches and the welder. Found a local guy with 21 single axle boat trailers all between 250.00 - 400.00. He parts out 35-40 boats a year. Meeting with him tomorrow. Hopefully he will have something I can turn into a drift boat trailer. Which is basically adding a rear roller and a couple of carpeted cross braces. The ones I've seen are pretty basic. Rob

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
That seems like an awful lot of trouble.

If you'd prefer, just give me your addy and I'll swing by and pick up that sweet little boat and take care of it for you.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I know, she is a cutie isn't she. Kinda like when you buy a new truck. You should just go out with a hammer and put a dent in the bed right away. Now you can treat it like a truck. I just can't bring myself to go out and put a scratch done the side of the boat yet. Another little tidbit about the pram. The builder put a little round brass plaque inside the transom the reads "The Sadie Ann" the name of his cute little 2 year old daughter. Now I would never change the name of a boat. So she will forever be "The Sadie Ann" Rob

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well the smallest trailer he had was a huge 19 footer. So I'm back asking for a small boat trailer. Thanks, Rob

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have no trailer to offer, but that is a sweet looking little boat you have there. You going to be floating any of the Ohio tribs? I'll wave hello if I see you floating past

·
Registered
46 Posts
Rob,
I lucked out with my db trailer by finding one close and easily modified. The previous owner had a much heavier glass boat on there so it came with all the swiveling roller do-dads on there. I stripped all that off, added to bunks at the appropriate angles/location for the rocker of my boat, then carpeted them. The rear roller is a bit of a frankenstein but it works. A coat of paint later and I was rolling. If I had access to welding equipment my life would be much easier.

But what I ended up with is a trailer that is pretty overbuilt for the application of hauling a drift boat, but pulls straight as an arrow. (and doesn't jump around as much on the dirt roads with no boat on it)

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Maybe watch Craigslist for a cheap Boat/trailer combo. It's not uncommon to see older 12-14' v bottom boats in the $400 range. If the trailers usable, scrap the aluminum boat and use the fund age towards trailer modifications. Just an idea if your looking for a DIY project. Good luck.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I went the new trailer route. Found a nice one for 650.00 from Tracy's Custom Riverboats. I look at it this way. I don't have to worry about a lot of cutting and welding, replacing tires and wheel bearings or old wiring harnesses. Thanks guys for all the suggestions. I'll post a pick once things come together. Rob

·
slipped away to grey...
739 Posts
Well I went the new trailer route. Found a nice one for 650.00 from Tracy's Custom Riverboats. I look at it this way. I don't have to worry about a lot of cutting and welding, replacing tires and wheel bearings or old wiring harnesses. Thanks guys for all the suggestions. I'll post a pick once things come together. Rob
What brand of trailer?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts